Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
another new guy >

another new guy

Notices

another new guy

Old 02-06-2008, 06:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

heard that i think back in #11 i said i`m looking at drive upgrades my plans are 383 blueprint motors 400+or -hp along with some nice drives i found some teagues but not sure may look at some bravo xr to keep simple going to stick with small blocks to keep down on weight it may take a couple summers but its all mine clear and free and turn key just going to clean up and update and as for oso best how to book around two thumbs up thanks for input
Old 02-07-2008, 03:18 PM
Gold Member

Default welcome

welcome to the family.as said before,ditch the alpha drives and go w/bravo.a plus side to having alpha drives is the take less h/p to drive them compared to other drives...bravo,trs,speedmaster.down side as you know is the weakness of the alpha.i have been told that the alpha takes about 35hp to run,the bravo around 50-60hp and the trs almost 100.i do not know if thease numbers are true.just my 2cents.good luck w/your fountain
Old 02-07-2008, 05:18 PM
Registered

when i change to bravo drives other than a bigger hole do i need to change my engine beds higher i`ve seen some bravo xr drives would these be good drives for my rig when complete 400hp hopefully per motor
Old 02-07-2008, 07:22 PM
Registered

If you are spending money just buy a CAT.Ha ha just kidding D-mull rocks we both bought our new to us boats at the same time. we work together and are always racing.please don 't give him too much info or I will be getting spanked again ,his hydrasteam would knock the stink off my blown excalibur.I can only hope my eliminator will hold him off,wow bet this will start a race.love OSO and all the people on it. lew
Old 02-07-2008, 07:30 PM
Registered

thanks lew best boss ever buy a cat ha and the old excalibur, puppy may take me this summer but it going to get tight
Old 02-07-2008, 07:53 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

I'll be putting just over 400 dyno tested ft/lbs through my alphas this year......we'll see how they hold up......if you search there are many many alpha threads on this site .......theres a member on this site that has an 18ft Powerplay and puts over 500hp through his alpha.......theres a guy at my old Marina that has an 87 32 Pachanga (not a small boat) with 330 hp bigs that still has the original alphas......his theroy.....ez up on plane but once on plane .....punch it!......has worked for 20 yrs.

me......Im keeping the alphas......its a twin engine boat not a single......most if not all the stories Ive read on here about blowing alphas are/were single applications........usaually somebody tries to put a 450/500 hp bb with a 25/27 pitch prop in front of an alpha in a 25 - 27 ft single......you can kill a Bravo doing that........ put a good shower on them and changethe oil every 10 hours.......if one blows they are dirt cheap to fix or replace.......bravos blow too.......two bravos, transom assys and labour is not cheap.......see "have you priced your boat out of the market thread" in GD......and you will go slower.......if you do the swap I'll buy your old alphas off you!!......later.....doug

sorry for the rambling

Last edited by pullmytrigger; 02-07-2008 at 10:37 PM.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:05 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

hey trigger...
your 20 year thing's true! 21years in front of a pair of 350 mags (i know not 330 hp)..but still going strong spinning 23" 4 blades...btw amsoil's full synth gear lube beats merc hipo...and, i agree, if you see chalk, it needs a shower...
c
Old 02-07-2008, 10:37 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

......yeah,I had one failure.....stripped the top gearset......i was their when the mech. popped the top off the drive......definately heat related......stunk the whole shop out with the smell of burnt oil......guy says he sees this all the time......after that I put the showers on and change my oil every 10 hrs instead of every year.......
Old 02-08-2008, 06:40 PM
Registered

hey thanks guys that`s great to hear i`ve heard that from several people and is good to hear from others i`m ruuning twins and they new out of the box just put on last week i`ll have to get some drive showers thanks,
love the good info . Donnie
Old 02-08-2008, 07:29 PM
Registered

reading some threds on alphas i read that a guy has imco shortys for his alpha? anyone heard of such a thing and if so would they help mine also heard that thier is a alpha ss doing some homework

Quick Reply: another new guy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.