Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
Do extension boxes pickup speed on Fountains? >

Do extension boxes pickup speed on Fountains?

Notices

Do extension boxes pickup speed on Fountains?

Old 04-13-2008, 12:47 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

THIS would be the result of a good c.g
Attached Thumbnails Do extension boxes pickup speed on Fountains?-42-manhasset.jpg  
Old 04-13-2008, 04:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KS_Jayhawk
I am always looking to increase the speed in the boats I own. (That's why I own Fountain) I am considering adding Imco boxes to my 06 38' Lighting w/staggered 525's and xr's with sportmaster lowers. A friend of mine told me that Fountians do not like extension boxes however he does not have any first have experience. So I pose the question to you. Have you added boxes and if so what was the results.
Which Sportmaster's are on there now, standard length or the -2's?

Last edited by Back4More; 04-13-2008 at 04:50 PM.
Old 04-13-2008, 05:45 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Monstaaa: Do you have more pics of that 42 Poker Runner??? I have seen it once, and that boat looks UNIQUE!!!! Any info about engines and speeds?
Old 04-13-2008, 08:36 PM
Registered

Boat is listed on OSO.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:45 PM
Registered

OK, I see on another post you have the standard lowers.
I think having Whipple re-cal your computers for the 35HP upgrade and also using a custom prop shop to dial in your props to your boat for top end will get you the biggest bang for the buck.
Going the with the boxes you would lose speed with the standard lower...going to the -2 lowers, then your talking 5-6 blade props and steering modifications... Way to much F'in around for what you would get out of it over the other route.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:28 PM
Registered

monstaaa can u explain to me the diff. between I.T.S. and extension boxes? and has anyone ever messed with ext. boxes, or I.T.S. on a 32 fever? sorry, new to the education on drive placement and pricipals.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:32 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i.t.s is merc's intergrated transom sterring. its a set back with steering built in to it. there is no need to mount external rams.

exstension or standoff boxes are after market boxes made of aluminium that space the gimbal/ transom assembly off the transom usually around 11".

in either case the result is putting the prop into cleaner undisturbed water for better handling and less prop slip amongst other things.

as for the 32 , i personally have not tried them on one.
Old 04-16-2008, 03:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Downtown42
is this center of gravity?
No that is poor fuel economy, but one good time.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:53 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 254 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by 10x
There's ALOT of "variables" that come into play when you're adding boxes, especially if the boat was'nt origionally setup for them. What you will probably have to do, is raise the X dimension to get the drives, or should I say the props higher in the water.

If I were you, I'd call someone with hands on knowledge of what you're trying to achieve here. Your best bet would be to call Scott Shogren at Shogren Performance Marine in Waukeegan Ill, and I personally know that he's got plenty of experience with trying all the possible combinations that there are to gain speed. He'll steer you in the right direction, otherwise you'll be throwing out good money after bad, chasing problems that arise from buying the wrong components, only to find out that you did'nt gain the speeds that everybody told you you'd see. Everything that Scott touches, seems to run fast and effiecient.
Everyone has their opinion, but you know what they say about opinions. Scott's opinion is one that you can count on.

Frank
Well said!!
Old 05-05-2008, 01:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by KS_Jayhawk
How do I get in contact with mr. sgro? I would like to talk to him before I install blowers.

Alson what is c.g. ?
Moms new car??? haha

Quick Reply: Do extension boxes pickup speed on Fountains?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.