Trimming your fountain? >

Trimming your fountain?

Notices

Trimming your fountain?

Old 05-12-2008, 10:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trimming your fountain?

When you are running at cruising speed, where do you have your boat trimmed with a average load? When doing speed runs (light weight) where do you have your boat trimmed to, tabs and drive?
Old 05-12-2008, 10:07 PM
Registered

I value life so when I am wide open I keep the tabs even with the bottom of the boat.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:15 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Racerngr1
When you are running at cruising speed, where do you have your boat trimmed with a average load? When doing speed runs (light weight) where do you have your boat trimmed to, tabs and drive?
where you doing your speed runs? We did one on elsinore Sunday..Chad
Old 05-12-2008, 10:16 PM
Registered

Cruising speed - about 3. That is close to being level with the bottom.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:32 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by mcprodesign
where you doing your speed runs? We did one on elsinore Sunday..Chad
I was out there on Saturday trying a different prop. I go there all the time just to run the boat, it's only like 20 minutes from my house.

When I'm running the boat, I typically trim the drive at about 3and the tabs not far off.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:46 AM
Registered

i am closer to 4 but with boat out of water drop tab to even with boat use a straight edge if need be.go to fountain website the big reggie has a video and tells a little about it and how to extend your running area.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:52 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I'm in the ocean or running an inlet, I put the tabs and drive at 3 (neutral). That way I'm ready for changing conditions. If the conditions warrant (good that is) I tend to pull the tabs up to around 2 (later 29's run a little faster that way) and start tapping my drive up. Cruising around 56 or so, my drive could be around 3.5, no higher than 4. I watch my GPS and try to maximize my speed vs. throttle input. This is for good water of course.

Rough water, different story. Drive is ALWAYS at neutral, maybe 1 tap up or down from there depending on the situation. Running into a sea, the deepest I've ever had the tabs is 4. (shouldn't be much deeper anyways). Running with a sea, tabs at 3 usually.

What I'll do is see how the boat launches (29's fly pretty level) and adjust from there. I don't want the nose to go to far up or down. Furthermore, a speed increase will change things. 40 mph in my boat will beat you to death in 3 to 4's (even with good space) so I'll pick up the pace until she finds her "happy spot", which is usually around 60-65 for me. Being that you're in Cali, you'll get those 5-6 foot swells with 10 to 15 seconds between them. I've run that type of water before around 65-70 mph in my boat. In closer spaced water, I keep it around 60 or so as not to hurt the outdrive. Even though I'm throttling, you still get a quick "pop" out of the water here and there. Thankfully for me, I'm at 1/2 throttle at those speeds. Those "pops" tend to sneak up on you more in a following sea.

Fountains are "drivers'" boats. Feel it out and you'll start to notice the little changes. Your boat has a different hull/setup than mine, so it will have it's own "happy place". These are just some basic guidelines to follow.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:32 PM
Registered

Call Fountain and get the performance report, all settings will be listed at different speeds.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:32 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Downtown42
Call Fountain and get the performance report, all settings will be listed at different speeds.

The best advise yet DT! Have Fountain send you the perf report and use it as a giude. I've been playing with my new one and what they put on the perf report is a real good baseline to work from. Reggie don't run them all anymore, but the guys he has doing this have it down. It is your best starting point, call the factory.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:58 PM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

I keep my drive at 3 or 3.5....level with bottom. My tabs are between 2 and 4 depending on water conditions. I dont feel any speed change with tabs up more than 2 (and dont like the wondering feeling at speed,) and below 4.5 they really begin to stuff the bow. When im attempting to get on plane i stuff the drive and put the tabs down considerably, and then begin to raise the tabs and then shortly there after the drive.....all based on attitude feel, boat weight, and engine RPMs. My max GPS (68.6) was with tabs at the 2.5 position and drive about 3 in very slight wind chop....if i remember correctly. Basically I like to keep the drive about level and use the tabs to make minor adjustments.

Quick Reply: Trimming your fountain?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.