27 Fever Info >

27 Fever Info

Notices

27 Fever Info

Old 03-08-2002, 04:03 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 27 Fever Info

I am in the market for a used 27 Fever. I have a couple of questions about the boat before I buy one.

Whats the top speed with a normal load of fuel and people with a 502 Mag?

How about with a 500EFI?

What about the 454Mag?

Has anyone out there put a Whipplecharger on a 27 502Mag boat?

How big of a truck do you need to comfortably tow one?

How does this boat handle rough seas. We boat mainly on large shallow lakes, rivers, and the Gulf of Mexico.

How well does the boat plane with a load? A guy in our boatclub had one a while back with a 502 Mag and he had a hard time planing out with a full tank and four people. Is this common for this boat?

I see that all of the boats we have looked at have had the Hydromotive Q4 prop. I know when I put one on my current boat (22 Scarab) it makes it much harder to plane. It shoots the bow high in the air then the boat feels like it has to dig itself out of a hole to come up on to plane. Has anyone tried any other porps on this boat?

Are all the 27's set up for left hand props?

Any other help or questions I should be asking?

Thanks in advance. The knowledge base of this board is simpley awesome.

Ron
Old 03-08-2002, 05:40 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ron,
Mine is a '94 27' Fever originally with the HP465. Basically an HP500. But more HP than the 502 mag's. It had the blower on it when I bought it. The factory test sheet listed it at 71 mph with a 23" Mirage. When I tried it without the blower, I got around 69 out of it. This is with a LH 24" Hydro. Yes, it did take some time to get on plane when I had 4 adults. A buddy has an 2000 w/HP500EFI, all stock that runs around 73-75. This is a stepped hull thou. He also has planing issues with 4 adults.

I would guess a 454 might break the 60 mph mark, but not by much. Way under powered in my opinion. I think it might have some big problems with a boat load of people. Just speculating here.

With my blower, it'll run 83 with a 27" Hydro, and then some with a larger prop. I still am over on the revs by 300rpm currently. It jumps on plane with 1/4-1/3 throttle, even with 6 adults. Blowers are tough to beat.

I used to pull it with a Chevy 4x4 short bed w/350. Powerwise and braking, it wasn't a problem. Wheel base was to short/dangerous. I now have a F250 SD ext cab, short bed. World of difference! Anything with at least a standard lenght wheel base will be fine. 1/2 ton is plenty if thats what you have.

Most of my boating is on small inland lakes, with Cumberland my biggest. I have no problem. Don't know about handeling on the bigger waters, or offshore.

It does seem like 90% of them are LH. Can't answer that. Will say that 27FOUNTAIN tried my LH 24" hydro, he prefered his 23" Mirage(?) RH. I've never tried a RH.

I love my boat! Only thing else I would currently consider is a larger Fountain, but just not too practical for our boating right now. Any other questions, ask away.
Jerry

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 03-08-2002 at 05:43 PM.
Old 03-08-2002, 07:15 PM
Registered

Thanks for the reply US1. I am worried about the planing issue. Where we boat it seems like there is a no wake zone around every corner. I wonder if its the boat or the Hydro props making the boat hard to plane? Maybe someone else will chime that has run the mirage or the bravo.

I am looking at 502 Mag step bottom boats with low hours. If I can find the right deal then there will be money left over for a Whipplecharger. I think the boat will be perfect for me with about 150 more hp than stock. My boat (22 Scarab 502/502) now pulls a 27" Mirage 5000rpm and thats about where I would like to be eventually with the 27 Fever.

My current tow vehicle is a full size two door short wheelbase Yukon with a 5.7 and the towing package. I feel it will be enough for short hauls to the local river but we tow 4 hours to the coast a few times a year.

Its great to hear that more hp takes care of the planing problem. Id be interested to here what other options there is to take care of this problem like longer K planes, different props, or such. I have had a boat that was hard to plane and it was a real pain.

There are a couple of people on the board with 27's for sale. Where are you guys. I want to pick your brains about the boats and maybe buy one.

Ron
Old 03-08-2002, 07:30 PM
Charter Member # 545
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ron..I had a 27 with a 500 H.P, it was a 1998. Same planing issue's, It also ran a Hydromotive prop. The Bravo 1 planes off better , but you sacrifice a few miles per hour on the top end. I have owned a 27, a 32, and currently a 35. I think if I was to do it again, I would have bought a 29 single. More interior room, rides better, not any different to tow, a few hundred pounds more. And believe it or not runs as fast as the 27! The engine room is a little larger so when the time comes that you may want a Whipple or Procharger, more room to work. I think that their was a thread about the rear seat being in the way when installing the crank pully for the blower. My 27 the engine was very close to the back of the rear seat. Maybe a little more money than the 27, but I think you may be happier in the long run.
Old 03-08-2002, 07:57 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default blower clearance

This is the mods that was needed to my rear seat for the blower pulley. There was a 1/4" interference. SOOOO close. But it ain't horseshoes!

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 12-02-2011 at 11:19 AM.
Old 03-08-2002, 08:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm towing with a 4 door Tahoe, plenty of power, but the wheel base is just a tad short. The only place you notice is on the highway, a little twitchy. I'm running a right hand 23 Revolution 4 by Merc. Was a left originally, the only difference was at slow speeds it would lean slighly to the right with the LH prop and vice versa with the RH prop. I too have the BM 250 blower, love it, these boat (need?)like the increased power all around.
Old 03-08-2002, 08:29 PM
Registered

Thanks beak,

A 29 would be great but they are so much more than the 27's. They are out of our price range.

So a 27 with an hp500 still has the planing problems but supercharged it does not.

I guess I still want a low hour 502 Mag boat and then supercharge it. Im going to email Dustin Whipple to see what he has to say about the 27 Fever.

Anyone have a stock 502Mag 27 Fever out there? What does it run top speed and please include prop pitch and type and rpm.

Ron
Old 03-08-2002, 08:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a friend with a 94' 27 Fever w/efi 502 mag,24 mach sterndriver, completely stock. Runs 66 on its best day, 64 with a load. It may be for sale,low hours,garage kept its entire life. Let me know if your interested, I'll get you the number. Charles
Old 03-08-2002, 09:23 PM
Registered

27 Fountain, I am interested if the boat is for sale.

Ron
[email protected]
Old 03-08-2002, 10:08 PM
Registered

Thanks FeverMike, Your boat would be perfect for us but its out of our price range. Maybe I'll buy some powerball tickets tomorrow ha ha. But if I win that opens up new possibilities!

I have heard that the 29 was faster then the 27 with equal power but they seem to be about 15-20K more. I am still looking at the 29's though.

Ron

Quick Reply: 27 Fever Info

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.