Generator Intake valves on Fountain Cruisers >

Generator Intake valves on Fountain Cruisers

Notices

Generator Intake valves on Fountain Cruisers

Old 10-18-2008, 08:51 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Generator Intake valves on Fountain Cruisers

FYI. If anyone else has had recurrent problems like I did with the unreliable stock intake valve flooding out the generator with seawater due to pressure under high speeds, Brian of Annapolis Crusair in Maryland has done the research and found a reliable shut off similiar to those on Sunseekers which he installed on my boat and would do the same if you are in the area. This is a serious problem to be aware of with the prices of new generators these days.
Old 10-18-2008, 04:54 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have any pictures of it? On the one I run, the intake pitot pick-up is installed so that it is not in the water flow under the hull. So I guess that the generator can not be on while on plane...? Strange! What are your expriences?

Last edited by Yamaha 225; 10-18-2008 at 04:56 PM.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:59 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

The stock shutofff valve doesn't shut off water pressure until it reaches too high pressure and floods the generator with seawater I'm not a mechanic so I can't give all the technical details.My boat was flooded out before I purchased it with seawater in the oil and some damage. The intake valve was changed and within 1 year problems with the valve not opening and overheating. Then I shut it off manually a year by climbing in the hot bilge. Apparently these valves are not reliable hardware and never completely protect the genny by cutting off water at levels that can do damage.Thus the upgrade was needed.