x-dim on '04-'05 35' lightning

Notices

x-dim on '04-'05 35' lightning

Old 11-04-2008, 03:36 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default x-dim on '04-'05 35' lightning

I have an 01 35 lightning (first year of the twin step?) with side by side motors. My x-dim on the fountain "fun" sheet is 18". I am running Maximus props and never blow out until the boat gets up to high speed and the bravo lowers make the props lose bite. I am buying new drives this winter and I know some boats are running x-dim higher than mine. One I know of is at 18 3/8 and his is running 102 with a single step. I really would like to run -1" lowers bringing mine up to a 19" effective x-dim, but has anybody ran a side by side boat that high?
Old 11-04-2008, 06:16 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

My '06 35 TS is set up on 34" centers and a 19" X dimension per the Reggie Report, and I've verified this to be true. It's up there and I can't see going any higher. Though Brian Forehand at Fountain told me that they did do a couple of side by side set ups late in the '06 model run with the same set up as mine and then used the -2" Sportmasters and Herrings. You can't compare the single step hull here, but you should be fine at the 19" X. I still have not found the perfect props for this set up. So far the Bravos and the Precision 5 blades from BBlades work the best.
Old 11-05-2008, 01:57 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Thanks for the info. Are you running 525's and the speed in the avatar? That is movin' with stock power!
Old 11-05-2008, 06:19 PM
Registered

Yes 525s, and that number was last spring. Most of the season it ran 90 - 92 but I am still working thru the lab program on these props with BBlades, I'm Bretts guinea pig on this project and hopefully we end up with some real good numbers. Near the end of the season we did get the Rs back up but still need another tweek to bring the speed up along with it. Stock 32 Bravos it runs a consistent 90+ in any water or conditions. The handling traits at speed are like nothing I have ever seen, it's on rails at 90+ in most any water, so much so it's almost boring. I do believe that I have finally figured out what is going on with this set up, just need to have another conversation with Brett and see what he thinks as well. This prop chit is a black art, the faster you go the more it becomes just that.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:01 PM
Registered
VIP Member

I hear you on the "black art" comment. I put vortech's on my 500 efi's and I can't keep the boat in the water past 95. It accelerates like a sport bike up to there and I hit the rev limiter with ease @ 5650 spinning 31" Maximus. It just starts chine walking and hopping around. That is no fun! I watched a couple pics of the boat running and it has a bunch of water under the hull. It is in the water in front of the windshield. I am hoping a higher X and imco lowers will carry the bow a little more. I've been crushing gears all summer so I may go with 1.34 gears & XR uppers and see where that leaves me. I really think I can spin those maximus props I have now but we'll see. I just put her up for the year so I've got all winter to wonder???
Old 11-06-2008, 07:04 AM
Registered

The twin steps run pretty flat, not as much bow lift as with the single step versions. I tested some Maxes in the spring, 15 5/8 X 30s non labbed, and the boat was a little loose as well. I felt they were creating too much stern lift.and causing the boat to walk around a little. BBlades felt that could be worked out of the props. Got onto the Precision 5 blades and they showed more promise and the boat was very solid handling at speed. I'm rethinking the entire set up now and have even considered a call to Fountain to see if it could be dialed in there at the factory. I have heard that they have done some down there lately for owners, it could make the process a lot simpler. I've been told by them that Sportmasters and Herrings could add as much as 5 mph. It is really a pretty simple process, the trick is having the wall full of props to start with.

What diameter are your Maxes?
Old 11-06-2008, 05:36 PM
Registered
VIP Member

i think they are 15 3/8 but they could have been cut down to 15 1/4. i bought them labbed and haven't found anything that could outperform them yet. I've tried several bravos and hydros. My problem around Nash is finding props big enough. I turned 34 bravos to the limiter. I haven't tried a P5 or the precisions yet but I would imagine with the changes i will. My main prob right now is drive integrity. I am pushing way too many for the bravos to last so that is where I'm gonna start and work from there and then going down gears it might help with not turning such a big wheel.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:47 AM
Registered

I have 35 o1 lightning that chim walked after 90 until we put imco pointed cones on. before that the boat just seam to hunt
Old 11-12-2008, 01:48 PM
Registered
VIP Member

that is my plan this winter if i don't trade it and go bigger
Old 11-13-2008, 08:38 AM
Registered

What Size Motors Are In That Boat You Are Going To Work On This Winter

Quick Reply: x-dim on '04-'05 35' lightning

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.