need a little boat background >

need a little boat background

Notices

need a little boat background

Old 04-23-2009, 03:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by runafever
Those motors are hacks. THey are Merc 500hps that someone converted to a 500efi. Take a close look at the fuel system, belts, and the gill exhaust are a dead giveaway.
That's what I was figuring based on the year of the boat. They were either HP's converted to EFI's, or dropped in.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:39 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does anybody no about the cuddy doors ? they are cut in half and hinged . is that a factory opption or did people do it on there owne ? I have seen about three of these .
Old 04-23-2009, 05:25 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by tim brown
does anybody no about the cuddy doors ? they are cut in half and hinged . is that a factory opption or did people do it on there owne ? I have seen about three of these .

The split cabin door is the standard factory set up on your model Fountain, as well as a lot of others. Should have a small strap that allows you to secure them open. Simplistic design, draws comment from some other brand owners, but they don't rattle or blow open in rough chit.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:16 PM
Registered

The engine hatches have cut-outs that look like those used when blower motors were installed ... just an observation, nothing more than that.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by runafever
Those motors are hacks. THey are Merc 500hps that someone converted to a 500efi. Take a close look at the fuel system, belts, and the gill exhaust are a dead giveaway.
Good eye I agree Thanks for clearing that up
Old 04-24-2009, 12:56 PM
Registered

Default New life for 51

Just found this forum.

Spent the latter part of day yesterday pulling a 51 Fountain out of the water. Sad to say that it had been allowed to deteroriate to a pretty nasty state.

It was not on a hoist so the first order of business will be to clean & evaluate the hull condition.

Little is known about this boats history.

FGQ51001D899

Engines are not Mercruisers & have Stock cylinder heads & Demon Carbs in their current config.
A mechanic who had worked on the boat at the lake it is leaving mentioned that it had hydraulic roller cams & that he had to replace some copper header gaskets at one point.
For some odd reason there are automotive fuel pumps currently.

Got to run but will add more later & I anticipate needing some help from Forum members here.

Last edited by damon; 04-24-2009 at 01:18 PM.
Old 04-24-2009, 04:15 PM
Registered

From the hull ID number, it looks like serial number "1" of that model, built April 1998, is model year 1999, and it has Fountain's letter designation "FGQ" ... thats about all I can tell you.