Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
Transom sutt? >

Transom sutt?

Notices

Transom sutt?

Old 04-28-2009, 06:02 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

I really think the sooty transom comes from the fact that Merc has a tendency to set motors up a little on the rich side. They do this because they warranty the motors and lean / clean motors are more apt to blow up if run real hard for long periods of time. The reality here is that if trying to build in reliability / longevity .... Fat is where it's at !!!

I'll take transom cleaning to piston replacement any day.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:08 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 541 Posts

You need to visit a dealer and see what flash is in the computer. They can be leaned out a bit once they are broken in. I actually had my ECUs replaced under warranty, which included a new flash.

Run ONLY 87 octane in your 496HO.

Do not run any silent choice/captains call/INTERNAL switchable exhaust at over 3000 RPM. Actually, I'd recommend 2000 RPM or less.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:12 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RaggedEdge
amen to that
Old 04-28-2009, 06:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Do not run any silent choice/captains call/INTERNAL switchable exhaust at over 3000 RPM. Actually, I'd recommend 2000 RPM or less.
What you really meant to say was " I agree w/ Tbone"

Old 04-28-2009, 07:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RaggedEdge
I really think the sooty transom comes from the fact that Merc has a tendency to set motors up a little on the rich side. They do this because they warranty the motors and lean / clean motors are more apt to blow up if run real hard for long periods of time. The reality here is that if trying to build in reliability / longevity .... Fat is where it's at !!!

Agree with you on that one! I figured they set them up a bit rich to extend the longevity just wasnt 100% sure, thanks again for the anwsers all.Ill check with merc and see if it is a current reprogam.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by tomtbone1993
What you really meant to say was " I agree w/ Tbone"

And this is true! I have a freind that just had his thru hull installed this winter first time out this past weekend he ran them closed at a higher rpm and now there stuck closed.Not sure if he screwed up the compessor or the flaps but either way I always thought it was an idle/no wake feature.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:45 AM
Registered

At the risk of hijacking this thread, sounding ignorant and in the spirit of knowledge, could someone please explain to me the technical reasoning? I do not doubt your responses, just want to know the details. Have owned boats in the past with silent choice and have not had any problems. Very curious.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:29 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stogie
At the risk of hijacking this thread, sounding ignorant and in the spirit of knowledge, could someone please explain to me the technical reasoning? I do not doubt your responses, just want to know the details. Have owned boats in the past with silent choice and have not had any problems. Very curious.
When the exhaust is open (cap't call off) the exhaust and water is free flowing through the transom, essentially with no back pressure. Once you close the exhaust (cap't call on) the exhaust and water gets re-routed through the prop, which is not as efficient in expelling the water. Once you get over a certain RPM the water being sent through to the prop is not able to expell the water as fast as it is being moved through the engine and therefore you sometimes get reversion.

That is really the very basic and simple explanation, I'm sure someone on the board can give a more mechanically in depth answer.

Last edited by Big Time; 04-29-2009 at 11:34 AM.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:42 AM
Registered

Thats what I wanted. Thank you kindly sir.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:27 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Big Time
When the exhaust is open (cap't call off) the exhaust and water is free flowing through the transom, essentially with no back pressure. Once you close the exhaust (cap't call on) the exhaust and water gets re-routed through the prop, which is not as efficient in expelling the water. Once you get over a certain RPM the water being sent through to the prop is not able to expell the water as fast as it is being moved through the engine and therefore you sometimes get reversion.

That is really the very basic and simple explanation, I'm sure someone on the board can give a more mechanically in depth answer.
you hit the nail on the head w/ that explanation

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.