Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
Ilmor Power in a 29' Fountain??? >

Ilmor Power in a 29' Fountain???

Notices

Ilmor Power in a 29' Fountain???

Old 06-24-2009, 05:51 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Uncle Dave - I've seen pictures of your boat before and wondered why Lavey didn't paint or gel the bilge? Or did they use a clear gel on it so you could still see the stringers/coring under the layup?
Old 06-24-2009, 11:08 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by c_deezy
Uncle Dave - I've seen pictures of your boat before and wondered why Lavey didn't paint or gel the bilge? Or did they use a clear gel on it so you could still see the stringers/coring under the layup?
Its clear gel-

Actually I liked the look of the vac bagged balsa.

Lavey would have been happy to paint it whatever color I wanted- but I choose to spend the money I would have spent on that on other things. Add to this the storage units that lavey puts in on either side of the engine basically block your view to the bilge and the 710 covers every inch outside of that so there wouldn't be much to see other than the inside of the hatch.

If you do a search on "quent" he has a 24 ft 710 powered bowrider with basically the same paint scheme & it has an fully painted bilge.

Dave
Old 09-03-2009, 04:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by c_deezy
I finally got some picts - The painted bilge is Quents 24 Lavey with identical power. He painted the bilge and hatch.

The pict with the gal in it is my GF "cleaning my pipes" in the 2750 the batteries are mounted in front of the engine (2xpc-2150's)

In their place are the containers I spoke of/extra storage.

UD
Attached Thumbnails Ilmor Power in a 29' Fountain???-quent-engine-bay.jpg   Ilmor Power in a 29' Fountain???-dave-engine-bay.jpg  
Old 09-03-2009, 05:36 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FeverMike
A 29 Fountain is really a 26' boat. I had a 29 and it was a great boat and I have also been in a 92mph 29 and it gets real scary above 83-85mph.
26' boat? really I have a 29 in a 30' slip and it takes up every bit of it.......but I have never put a tape to it.
Old 09-05-2009, 08:12 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nick9671
26' boat? really I have a 29 in a 30' slip and it takes up every bit of it.......but I have never put a tape to it.
What Mike is referring to is the running surface. It actualy measures out to 26'10"(per APBA). Yes with the beak/swim platform it is at 29 and change total length so you would need your 30' slip.
Old 09-05-2009, 08:24 AM
Registered

Also on a side note with drive reliability for the illmor application, would a NXT work?
Old 09-05-2009, 09:03 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

There is not a boat out there (except a barge) that measures the total running surface as what the Coast Guard rates it. A 29 Fountain is 29 FEET LONG. A 42 foot Cigarettes running surface is NOT 42 FEET. Give it a rest.
Old 09-05-2009, 09:42 AM
Registered

Come on Roger play nice lol You know as well as I do the reason mine was measured was for weight purposes in F1(2001). My weight requirement was 4600 if I was a true 29 I would have had to put another 150 lbs on board. Fever Mike was part of the tech staff back then.

Aside from the racing aspect of it and the rules at the time, you are 100% correct, a 29 is a 29.

Trent
Old 09-05-2009, 10:40 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Hey Trent, I just get tired of people trashing the length issue on Fountains. The Coast Guard rules, are front to back, and if the swim platform is part of the boat it is measured also. The beak is part of the boat so it counts also. The CG does not measure the running surface to determine the length they require boat builders to publish.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:18 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by F1-00 Racing
Also on a side note with drive reliability for the illmor application, would a NXT work?
Probably would work just fine, and if you had the drive sitting Im sure you could figure it out- but why wouldn't you use Ilmors new Indy drive?

It's got less parasitic loss than an NXT, and is rated for even more power.

I just got back from San Diego had a 300 mile roundtrip- boat ran awesome got 2.3 MPG this trip.

I Love my Ilmor 710. No BS, no problems, no belt dust all over the bilge, no black soot on the transom, no starting problems, idling problems, nothing but reliable smooth HP delivered just like its supposed to be.

I have owned and hold in high regard highly Mercury marine product my whole life, I have nothing bad to say about them and will remain a customer of their where and when it makes sense.

Ive built & dyno'd over a dozen custom engines for boats and cars, and can say that its really hard to replicate what these guys have done in terms of an overall package.

Uncle Dave

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.