Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
Insurance Blues >

Insurance Blues

Notices

Insurance Blues

Old 03-28-2002, 07:42 PM
pmcrespo

Default Insurance Blues

Ok, so I am having serious problems insuring my 27 Fever. I just got it and I have tried what seems to be every underwriter under the sun, with horrible luck. The driving record is killing me. Three speeding and one "Improper Turn" in last three years, of course, plus the couple seat belts to go with that. C'mon!? I did drive 97,000 miles in 23 months... No accidents though....

Does anyone have any suggestion on who underwrites bad DMV records for boat insurance? Have tried all the well advertised houses and agents.

Thanks

Old 03-28-2002, 10:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pmcrespo,

If you own a house try Farmers. State farm wouldn't insure my 35' so I went with Farmers. I have seen them pay quite a few claims with no trouble. Luckily non-were mine. If not give Sy Goldberg a page in the general discussion area. I believe he is Total Dollar Insurance.

Dan

Last edited by candyman35; 03-28-2002 at 10:42 PM.
Old 03-29-2002, 12:56 PM
pmcrespo

Thanks Dan. Total Dollar would not do it. I did not talk to Sy but whoever took a look at it said could not do the DMV record.

Not "officially" owning a house is the other bad part. I own a commercial building business and pretty much try to not have anything on my name in case of a lawsuit and the such.

My commercial policies agent is trying to help me. He is my last option at this point. I have checked the other forums on the subject and got some good leads but none that would deal with the not so perfect record.

I appreciate your input though. I'll post what the resolution is...

Pablo

Old 03-29-2002, 03:04 PM
29Fever

You could try a broker. Let them do the shopping for you. It will probably cost you though. You will just have to suck it up until you can get your DMV record a little more respectable. The same thing happened to me with my first boat. State Farm wouldn't insure me because of my driving record. (2 speeding tickets) I won't tell you the company that I went with because I didn't like them and don't want to bash them. Ahter a year, one of the tickets came off and I went back to State Farm.

Old 04-01-2002, 01:23 AM
Airwolf767

Default Insurance Blues

I had the same problem, call ALLSTATE, around 650 a year for a 32. They have lowered there auto rates and home insurance and I have all of my insurance with them.. good rates .... no I am not an insurance agent....damnnn

Old 04-01-2002, 04:10 PM
MIdnightRider

Bob at Worldwide Marine in Lansing, MI is pretty good. They are an insurance broker. You may want to explore some of the obvious loop holes, insuring in your wife or girlfriends name. The catch is they have to be on the title or loan to have an insurable interest. Talk with bob about your "Friends" situation and he will tell you what your options are. Midnight

Old 04-01-2002, 08:06 PM
pmcrespo

Default Working it....

Thanx...

I still have my corporate policy guys working on it. I will actually call Allstate tomorrow and see what they say. I remember they were very good in insuring a sport bike when I owned one.

The thing with "friends" is that the boat is registered under the "Company Name". Since I am the owner, I do not know how the underwriters will react to that given that a "friend" would not be involved in the Business. Also, I wonder if there is ever a claim, and I am not the actual primary driver, if it would be questioned. I'll get a number for Bob and see what loopholes are best to work.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll keep you informed on the progress..

Pablo

Old 04-01-2002, 11:26 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We have Allstate for the boat. They wouldn't do just the boat only, needed either our autos or our home in order to cover the boat. Since they were about the same on the home policy but higher on the auto, we have the home and the boat with them now. Be sure to understand if it is covered on the waters that you will be using it on. Not all will cover for the likes of the Great Lakes or the big waters(Oceans).
Old 04-02-2002, 08:13 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Call Buz at PMA good guy!! web site www.pmafastins.com phone# 1-888-327-8467
Old 04-08-2002, 07:13 PM
pmcrespo

Default Expensive end to a chapter

The veredict is in; $ 1,514 for one year insurance with liability coverage on the lower end of the spectrum (50/150/50 maybe ??) and a 600 deductible. I believe the underwriter is Marquel..

I could have saved a couple of $$$ if I would have registered the boat on my name but too late now. Would have had to pay taxes again if switched from Co. to personal.

Thanks for all the pointers and info. Tried Buzz, Total Dollar, and a bunch of them in between with no luck. I will bite the bullet now and try again next year since one of the speeding tickets comes off.

Quick Reply: Insurance Blues

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.