What a Day! Problems inside

Notices

What a Day! Problems inside

Old 07-14-2009, 03:07 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by birdog
No...Dont ask me how i know.........Be SURE to pull the drain plugs on the block and rod them out or you will have BIG problems...Dont ask me how I know....

If you have Low water pick=ups you will battle this problem
extremely good advice....and don't ask me how I know
Old 07-14-2009, 04:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sea strainers swirl the water before it enters the cooling system and either will mix up the finer particles and wash thru or if they are heavy they will drop out into the strainer basket. Call Livorsi or Dana and tell them what problems you are having and they may be able to steer you to the right set of strainers. They have saved my engines on a couple of boats not only for sand, but also seaweed.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:11 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Go with the external water pick-up and sea strainer. I also found out the hard way at a sand bar. No problems since.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:24 PM
Registered

which external pick up and strainer?
what are the numbers to those who can help.?

On a lighter note , i took the boat to a river tonight and put in.
I cranked port motor and no pressure. got under the dash and unhooked the water line , no water, revved it, still no water. I knew that when it was on the hose it was making water so i was kind of baffled. I opened the hatch and took off the front water line from the thermostat housing and recranked , and guess what , a load of water came through. Shut engine down and closed everything back up . Figured the just might be and obstruction, and knew to watch everything carefully. Took it up on plane , both gauges making good pressure, Both engines running very close oil temps and water temps, so i definately solved one problem that i had previously. Ran the boat for about an hour , with zero problems , cooling wise.
I have not had the chance to really anyalize everything before , but dont remember having problems with one motor not running as many RPMS as the other. My trim gauges arent functioning perfectly together so i hope that its just a trim problem. But no matter how much i played with it , Port motor seemed to be lagging behind 2 - 300 RPMS. Propeller looks perfect , so its not that ....
Old 07-15-2009, 09:07 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by dookie
which external pick up and strainer?
what are the numbers to those who can help.?

On a lighter note , i took the boat to a river tonight and put in.
I cranked port motor and no pressure. got under the dash and unhooked the water line , no water, revved it, still no water. I knew that when it was on the hose it was making water so i was kind of baffled. I opened the hatch and took off the front water line from the thermostat housing and recranked , and guess what , a load of water came through. Shut engine down and closed everything back up . Figured the just might be and obstruction, and knew to watch everything carefully. Took it up on plane , both gauges making good pressure, Both engines running very close oil temps and water temps, so i definately solved one problem that i had previously. Ran the boat for about an hour , with zero problems , cooling wise.
I have not had the chance to really anyalize everything before , but dont remember having problems with one motor not running as many RPMS as the other. My trim gauges arent functioning perfectly together so i hope that its just a trim problem. But no matter how much i played with it , Port motor seemed to be lagging behind 2 - 300 RPMS. Propeller looks perfect , so its not that ....
Don't necessarily believe the tachs. I have Smartcraft gauges and they are more accurate than the tachs. My tach show a 200 rpm difference running, but the Smartcraft only show a 50 rpm difference. No need to worry.

http://www.danamarineproducts.com/in...4-9bfb32c11f32

http://www.livorsi.com/

Last edited by gerritm; 07-15-2009 at 09:10 AM.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:10 AM
Registered

There are also drain plugs on the bottom of the block (usually port side). They are simple to pull and drain. I got a lot more sediment, sand, and even small pieces of gravel out (even with sea strainers). The plugs simply need to be threaded back in with teflon tape after you're done draining them.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:21 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Get 2 sea strainers...1 for each engine. They will help....also stay away from sand bars...stay in the channel.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:49 AM
Registered

I agree staying away from the sandbars is the only foolproof way of staying clean. But all my friends tie up everyweekend, on the beaches . I guess ill just have to buy me a tender......