Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
1996 Fountain Fever 29 w/ Twin Merc 500s - Questions! >

1996 Fountain Fever 29 w/ Twin Merc 500s - Questions!

Notices

1996 Fountain Fever 29 w/ Twin Merc 500s - Questions!

Old 08-20-2009, 11:25 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Fountain Fever 29 w/ Twin Merc 500s - Questions!

I'm looking at buying a 1996 Fountain Fever 29. The boat has twin carbureted Merc 500s with nearly 400 hours on them. The seller doesn't seem to know very much about the boat and is telling me these engines are rated at 385hp each, but everything I find online says they're rated at 500.

What's the true hp rating of these engines and approximately what kind of speed can I expect from this boat.

Also, why does Fountain locate their throttles on the port side of the helm?

Thanks for your help.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:33 PM
Registered

First off......you have found a very rare 29 if in fact it has the 500 HP motors. Only 2-3 were ever built. They are very fast. 90+. Can you post some pictures of the boat? Are the motors blue? Can you get the hull number? Does the owner have the boats performance report that came with the boat? All of your questions will have an answer on that report.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:39 PM
Gold Member

Default 29w/twins

a buddy of mine owns a marine repair shop.he is working on a 95 or 96 29 w/twins 454s.they said the boat will run 80 w/454s.i dont know why the controls are on the left....heard so many reasons.i think it goes back to the day when reggie was racing and there was a two man bolster seating???
Old 08-20-2009, 10:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bajafx4
I'm looking at buying a 1996 Fountain Fever 29. The boat has twin carbureted Merc 500s with nearly 400 hours on them. The seller doesn't seem to know very much about the boat and is telling me these engines are rated at 385hp each, but everything I find online says they're rated at 500.

What's the true hp rating of these engines and approximately what kind of speed can I expect from this boat.

Also, why does Fountain locate their throttles on the port side of the helm?

Thanks for your help.
I know of the boat you are talking about and actually walked away from it in June for numerous reasons though the deal was pretty smokin. It has been ridden hard and put away wet. If you are looking to put it back together I fear it would nickel and dime the budget. Met the owner a few times and it looks like he kept the props and cover. It did a verifed 86.3MPH on the Fountain performance report in June 1995. Those 500's should be rated around 470HP. Merc states that they should have a refresh at 400 hours, or at least a valve job. Not to scare you away but do your homework.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:08 AM
Registered

Sounds like the one at Harrisonmarine.I'd say.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:49 AM
Registered

The throttles are on the left because in a true race boat your throttles man sits on the left thus using his right hand to control them and Ibelieve Reggie is left handed which is another supporting reason.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:16 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by liftedBFT
I know of the boat you are talking about and actually walked away from it in June for numerous reasons though the deal was pretty smokin. It has been ridden hard and put away wet. If you are looking to put it back together I fear it would nickel and dime the budget. Met the owner a few times and it looks like he kept the props and cover. It did a verifed 86.3MPH on the Fountain performance report in June 1995. Those 500's should be rated around 470HP. Merc states that they should have a refresh at 400 hours, or at least a valve job. Not to scare you away but do your homework.
What issues did you find with the boat. A friend is interested in it.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:54 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by onesickpantera
What issues did you find with the boat. A friend is interested in it.
Things I did not like were:
1. Speedo was broke/filled with Lk St Clair water
2. Captains Call Exhaust was cut out / Straight pipes welded in
3. Cuddy cabin bed torn
4. Broken parts/torn trim in cabin
5. Drop outs torn on all sides
6. Every grab handle loose in cockpit
7. Misc tears/pulled threads on cockpit interior
8. Trailer was not intended for the boat, maybe a 35'-38'. In general did not look safe to trailer any further than a few miles - would recommend somthing intended for a step 29'.
9 Fiberglass actually was in very good shape, rub rail was destroyed where the trailer PVC pipe touched it in the rear
10. Steering wheel needs replacement
In general if you were looking to restore this boat and make it something you were proud of it could really nickel and dime your budget as everything had a flaw. The previous owners really had a good time on this boat! The graphics are pretty timeless which is nice.

I loved the idea of twin 500HP's in such a small boat, however based on the performance report from Fountain the engines did not make this boat a speed demon like I would have expected, as many 32's and 35's will run within 2MPH... must be the lift and the 29' with twin big blocks being so heavy in the rear. When I looked at it it had a full covers, batteries and props. Does not look like that is the case with Harrison.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:43 AM
Registered

2 Urban legends. The throttles are not on the left because reggie is left handed. Or so that your buddy can trottle while you drive. That is just plain crazy. The throttles are on the left because reggie figured most peope are right handed and they should have their stronger hand on the wheel. But I could be wrong.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:50 PM
Registered

Who won the bid? Anyone on here?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.