Cabin door and side storage compartments locks >

Cabin door and side storage compartments locks

Notices

Cabin door and side storage compartments locks

Old 10-28-2009, 10:04 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Cabin door and side storage compartments locks

The previous owner of my boat lost those keys. Does anyone know which brand are they? There's no name stamped on the locks themselves.
Besides, inside the black push lever lock of the compartments, there's a small cylinder. Is it possible to change just that, or the whole mechanism must be replaced?
Oh, and should the same key work for both the cabin door and the side storage compartments?
Thanks in advance!

PS: I can post a pic if necessary, but I guess they're pretty much Fountain standard (2006 boat).
Old 10-28-2009, 11:27 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The cabin door key is definitely not the same as the side compartment or glove box door key. The cabin door lock used to be made by National Cabinet Co, but you can get a similar cabin door lock assembly at most furniture (cabinet maker) shops or even at some auto parts stores. All of my side compartment doors and glove box door are keyed to be the same key. To change all of those will be $$$ . I would remove one of them - glove box door would probably be easiest and see if a local locksmith could "make" a key for it.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:58 AM
Banned

Here is something to think about.

Are you ever going to put anything worth locking in there?? I hope not?? Reason I bring this up is, if a thief wants in your glove box or cabin a hard jerk will break both doors. I am willing to bet the cost to replace the doors will exceed anything you have in there??

My point, I would rather let a POS thief go through it and not break the doors, nothing of value.

I have seen this at many marina's guys lock their boats up and the damage it done to get in and nothing to steal, but damage is done. Boat right beside them same thing but the thief never broke anything, because it was unlocked. BTW both up on rac storage.
Old 10-28-2009, 03:38 PM
Registered

Thanks, a quick search for Nat.Cab.Co pointed me to this one, which seems indeed the cabin door lock. Not big bucks, either.
Yep, changing all side doors locks (and glove box, you're right, I just forgot to mention it) would probably be more expensive.
I guess it depends on whether it's possible to change just the small cylinder inside or not.
You don't know which brand it is, by chance?
Old 10-28-2009, 05:28 PM
Registered

took my cabin door lock out and took it to a locksmith and he matched a key for me. and the glove box was the same as travle trailers #152 hope this helps. cheaper than replacing
Old 10-28-2009, 05:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by brians fever
and the glove box was the same as travle trailers #152 hope this helps. cheaper than replacing
Travel trailers #152? Is that a brand/key type? Sorry, never heard of it here in Europe...
That aside, is it really so easy for a locksmith (as also bob_t suggested) to make a key out of a lock cylinder?
Old 10-28-2009, 07:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mapism
Thanks, a quick search for Nat.Cab.Co pointed me to this one, which seems indeed the cabin door lock. Not big bucks, either.
Yep, changing all side doors locks (and glove box, you're right, I just forgot to mention it) would probably be more expensive.
I guess it depends on whether it's possible to change just the small cylinder inside or not.
You don't know which brand it is, by chance?
I have a cabin door lock from Fountain sitting in my parts bin. Just checked it, it is 1 3/16 cylinder length and looks just like the one in your link. I think I paid right at $20 + shipping from Fountain.

I checked the glove box and side compartment keys (they are all keyed to the same key) and it says "Southco" on one side and CH751 on the other side. My current boat is a 2006 also.

I did a quick google search on southco .... check out southco.com lever latches, part number C2-32-105-3. I think that is the side compartment lever lever. Glove box lock appears to be a part number 93-303, from looking at their photo. They probably have a limited number of keys ... it may be worth giving them a call or an e-mail.

Last edited by bob_t; 10-28-2009 at 08:31 PM.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:12 AM
Registered

Received 693 Likes on 277 Posts

national has master keys too.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:06 AM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Just call Fountain! I needed a new cabin door lock for the same reason, no key. I just got one from Fountain a few weeks back, call and ask for Gail, she is very accomodating. She's rounded up a bunch of little things for me recently.