New to Fountain Family >

New to Fountain Family

Notices

New to Fountain Family

Old 01-23-2010, 01:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Fountain Family

I am new to the Fountain Family. Bought a used 99 27 with an unmolested 502 this past summer as advised by you experienced folks to others - reasonable purchase price and not over the top to run - just to see if I would like it and it turns out I really do. The trouble is a few of the bow riders around here run as fast as I do. About 68 or so at 5000 rpm. Any relatively affordable tips to go a little faster? Short of buying one of the professionally done engines in the OSO classified or buying the 03 35 on here at Shogrens (super sweet). I am not a "motorhead" but believe I can manage bolt on type work just fine.
Old 01-23-2010, 03:24 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome to the Fountain family! Hope you are as happy with your boat as I have been for the last 4 yrs. My 1997 502 mpis were in need of a major rebuild. Before they were disassembled we thought it was just cam/lifters and exhaust that needed replacement but turned out to be bottom end issues as well. The mechanic where I store for winter claims that the least expensive way to add 45-50 hp to the 502 is soley with exhaust. An upgraded cam/lifter job would do nothing without better exhaust. The exhaust upgrades are not bad for a single engine boat-aprox. $2300. Adding 50 hp may get you 3-4 mph. Doing cam/lifters with the exhaust may get you 100- 125 hp/ 12k or so for twins. I repowered with 496 mag hos which are fresh water cooled which gave me a new start rather than investing in old rusty engines. Also consider lab finishing your prop for a little extra speed. My 2 cents. Good luck!
Old 01-23-2010, 03:25 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Only way to go faster is with more power, or hang with slower boats.
I had a blower on my 27 which pushed it to 83. W/O it was a 70 mph boat. It was a bolt on upgrade, but my motor was carbed, so easier to swap over in an afternoon than an EFI.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:53 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome!
Old 01-25-2010, 06:38 AM

Welcome
Old 01-25-2010, 11:14 AM
Registered

Welcome! I am fairly new to the Fountain family as well. I've got a 99' 27 with a 502 also. I do have new Stainless Marine exhaust, but that's the only change from stock. I'm running 69GPS with a labbed 23P Hydro. I can get it into the rev limiter if I try hard enough, so I'm going to try a 24P Bravo and go from there. I've been talking to Brett at B Blades, I think he can dail in the Bravo to get a few extra MPH.

(my wishometer says I'm doing 73!!!)
Old 01-25-2010, 02:06 PM
Registered

All, Thanks for the welcome aboard. I am going to start with the suggestion of improved exhaust since that seems to be a good starting point. And I can do it. We don't have alot of performance marine mechanics here in South Eastern Washington state which makes internal mods more problematic. If you know of any decent deals on them, I would welcome your suggestion.

The person I bought the boat from claims the prop is labbed, but I don't know how to tell by looking at it (Bravo 24P).

Again, Thanks for the tips and welcome. Jerry
Old 01-25-2010, 03:04 PM
Registered
VIP Member

well I'm going to go ahead and warn you that it is addictive! These boats should come with a warning label for sure!! I started with a boat very much like yours then moved up to a 35, now a 42 w some pretty big power.... basically welcome to the club
Old 01-25-2010, 04:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Z06yellow1
I am new to the Fountain Family. Bought a used 99 27 with an unmolested 502 this past summer as advised by you experienced folks to others - reasonable purchase price and not over the top to run - just to see if I would like it and it turns out I really do. The trouble is a few of the bow riders around here run as fast as I do. About 68 or so at 5000 rpm. Any relatively affordable tips to go a little faster? Short of buying one of the professionally done engines in the OSO classified or buying the 03 35 on here at Shogrens (super sweet). I am not a "motorhead" but believe I can manage bolt on type work just fine.
Leave it the way it is. Once you start you will never stop spending money, adding horsepower, etc. It will cost a fortune and sacrifice engine longevity in the end. Practice finding the ideal trim of the drives and tabs.
(By the way, what bow riders are running 68???)
Old 01-25-2010, 09:33 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Jerry, Welcome... I live in the Portland area and do alot of tuning on my 38. If you have any questions drop me a line.. Pete [email protected]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.