Props for a 38' Lightning >

Props for a 38' Lightning

Notices

Props for a 38' Lightning

Old 04-03-2010, 07:24 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Props for a 38' Lightning

Finally got my new to me 38' Lightning in the water. Boat has 500 EFIs, standard length Bravos, and what I think are Hydromotives. The props have some numbers engraved, but nothing that looks like a pitch to me. Either way, the boat as it's propped now will turn 5600+ w/o issue. I suppose the rev limiters have been somehow changed on these motors. Either way, I like to spin my motors 5100-5200 WOT and that's it, within Mercury specs. Boat feels like it's got a lazy midrange as well. Can anyone make a prop recommendation? I don't want to spend Herring money, but Bravos or Hydros, or other... what pitch should I start with? Anyone have a similar boat?
Old 04-04-2010, 06:42 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fountain sold many boats with Hydromotive when your was new..

Without guaranteeing this, I THINK those props are best suited for lighter boats. It seems like those props have not enough blade area and progressiv pitch to carry the bow high and get the boat to lift with little trim. I added one time more cup to the Bravo props of a 35 Executioner, and MAN that helped a lot! I would get a set of Bravo I 4-blades, and grind the underside of the front edge ("leading edge") of the blades, and make a real cup at the "trailering edge". That will give a much better grip in the water!! and get you better cruise speed and accelleration.

Let me know what you do. I am pretty sure you will see a performance increase, and generally get more enjoyment out of your boat!

Erik

Last edited by Yamaha 225; 04-04-2010 at 06:49 PM.