Factory "White Out"

Notices

Factory "White Out"

Old 04-08-2010, 10:35 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory "White Out"

Hey guys,

What is the process that Fountain uses for its white out of the stainless steel rails? Is there a better process? (i.e. powdercoating)? Is there a process which won't chip or look awful after a few years of use?

Thanks for your thoughts,

JJ
Old 04-08-2010, 10:59 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It is powdercoating.

Mine had chipped and always looked dirty, so I stripped ever peice that was PC'd and polished it to a mirror finish.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:55 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
It is powdercoating.

Mine had chipped and always looked dirty, so I stripped ever peice that was PC'd and polished it to a mirror finish.
My rails look dirty and are chipping as well, what was your process for stripping and polishing? I honestly don't care for the powdercoated rails.....
Old 04-09-2010, 08:11 AM
Registered

My rails were originally stainless steel. I had them removed, bead blasted and painted white with 4 coats of clear. I am on my 3rd season and they s are not chipping, flaking, or looking dirty. i am very pleased.

RAF
Old 04-09-2010, 12:15 PM
Registered

Location: Northern, KY (Cincinnati) Lake St Clair, MI Norris Lake, TN
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had a '98 29' Fever with white out. Had same problem. I just used an oil based Rustoleum (sp?). to clean up spots here and there. While I admit it's a ghetto way to do it, I didn't want to spend the $$ to get them done right. I like the white out look, but very impractical.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:20 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by nick9671
My rails look dirty and are chipping as well, what was your process for stripping and polishing? I honestly don't care for the powdercoated rails.....
Made a small narrow trough from aluminum foil and filled with acetone. Soak sections at a time for a few minutes, the PC peels right off.

Then the rails where all sanded smoth with emery then polished. It was a long dirty process, but well worth it. I like the looks of polished SS over mint looking PC anyways.

It appeared all teh SS was glass beaded 1st for a better bond for the PC. Getting that texture off was the heardest part, especially since i don't really know the fastest way to polish. If had to do it again, I'd strip the rails myself, then have them polished by someone in the business.

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 12-02-2011 at 10:59 AM.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:44 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by runafever
My rails were originally stainless steel. I had them removed, bead blasted and painted white with 4 coats of clear. I am on my 3rd season and they s are not chipping, flaking, or looking dirty. i am very pleased.

RAF
How much did that cost? Sounds like something i might be interested in doing. Also where did you have it done at? Any Pictures?