Notices

29 fever

Old 09-08-2010, 07:47 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I could easily be full of cr*p because I'm still kinda new at this, but... I've read many people spend a grip on B1 drives trying to have them stay together with bigger power.

One of the reasons I bought twins was for the bigger power but easier on the driveline. 75mph with only 420hp on each screw said reliability to me.

I didn't care about the maintenance costs or fuel, its a boat. They cost money.

Resale is relative, because you can buy twins pretty cheap too. Nobody seems to want them really.
For me how it comes out of the hole easy and guarantee of getting back to the dock was worth it. To each their own.

Am I just full of it or do you think not building drives as often offsets some of the added cost? Take it easy on me, I'm still a rookie :-)

Last edited by Rookie17; 09-08-2010 at 07:49 AM. Reason: I can't spell today... Lol...
Old 09-08-2010, 07:54 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I got tired of replacing drives on my 29 with 575sci. Went to an Imco Scx. No Problems. Its for sale. Check the OSO classifieds.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:57 AM
Registered

Received 1,389 Likes on 776 Posts

How much did the Scx cost?

As for the 32 sitting low, I wondered what a set of the new LS motors would do for it, I think it would lose about 1000lbs of the back.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:33 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

As for the 32 sitting low, I wondered what a set of the new LS motors would do for it, I think it would lose about 1000lbs of the back.
About 200 - 225lbs per engine, fully dressed if comparing all aluminum LS to a BBC with iron heads.

I have a few Dodge Nationwide NASCAR engines laying around with very low time on them and was thinking of transplanting two of them into my Fountain. 830HP each at 9200rpm is a fun thought and save around 100+lbs each of weight off the back (lightweight iron block with aluminum heads, dry sump etc).

But that would screw up the whole twin engine reliability deal, and I'd be floating instead of boating sooner or later

I really think the whole twin vs. single engine deal depends on your boating goals. The twins probably don't handle as well and sit lower in the water for sure. The singles may cost less to own and are probably more likely to leave you needing a tow or bouncing off rocks with a dead B1 drive if you get the bigger power bug.
If you're single, for whatever reason the ladies see and hear two or more engines and like that. Back recently when I was still single, that would matter to me. I'm a male

Seems like what you do with your boat should make more difference than what someone else who has a different boating style or outlook thinks.

But thats probably just my inexperience talking...
Old 09-08-2010, 11:17 AM
Registered

Yea 830 HP small blocks at 9200 rpm in a boat for sure will give you problems.

I thought the all aluminum LS were more then 200 lbs less the my all cast (Heads and block) BBC. Still 400lbs on a 7200lb hull.

As for the handling, I do know that I would not want a single in my 32, much easier to dock the twin and I get 82 to 85 out of fairly mild power (HP500EFI).

BTW

Does anyone know what IMCO's drives cost, just wondering when I need to upgrade what choices I have. Seems the arneson ASD6 kit is 23K each
Old 09-08-2010, 12:06 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

an Imco Scx drive with Sc lower and 5 blade Herring prop is $79,500.00. (boat included).
Old 09-08-2010, 12:22 PM
Registered

Default .....

call me crazy , but one of the things that i really liked is the way the 32 sits in the water. I do not really plan on leaving it docked over night much , but I have a few times and never really had any worries . I have two group 27 battery's and one group 31 . with two 1200 gph bilge pumps , I would think they could handle anything short of a small tsunami.
As far as docking characteristics , with the twins , It took me a little to get used to but wow , It seems like i can put it wherever i want now .
And oh yes mine comes out of the hole very well.
The sound of the twins in Sync just cannot be beat either!!!
Old 09-08-2010, 01:34 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

I don't want to keep hijacking this thread, but I think this is relevant to the original question / post.

There is no doubt that with a 29 ft+ boat the slow speed steering capability is much greater with twins. A busy boat ramp or dock with some light chop is so much easier to deal with by steering the boat on the twin props.

I rarely even touch the wheel nowadays putting the boat on the trailer or coming into dock and just use the props to steer the bow at engine idle speed.

You can pull the nose over so quick if a wave bumps you off course, and nowadays I can even spin the boat almost on its own axis just with the props in forward / reverse at idle. Long time boaters are probably laughing at my 'revelation'

When things get busy, I wouldn't want to be trying to manouver a boat this size just on steering wheel input anymore. It just reacts so much slower with the wheel only.

Different strokes for different folks, and I don't claim to be an expert. Just my observations as a newbie to anything over 24ft in my limited experience.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by NWPC
an Imco Scx drive with Sc lower and 5 blade Herring prop is $79,500.00. (boat included).

I thought the arnesons looked like a deal until I read the last words!
Old 09-08-2010, 02:20 PM
Registered

call me crazy , but one of the things that i really liked is the way the 32 sits in the water.
I agree
Attached Thumbnails 29 fever-img_2014%5B1%5D.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.