Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
Is it a lifting eye, inside the anchor locker? >

Is it a lifting eye, inside the anchor locker?

Notices

Is it a lifting eye, inside the anchor locker?

Old 08-10-2010, 09:23 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Is it a lifting eye, inside the anchor locker?

I had onboard a friend of mine who is a mechanical engineer.
According to him, the stainless steel ring below (and the way it's attached to the hull and bolted to the towing eye on the other side) looks strong enough to be used also as a lifting eye.

In my view, it's clearly oversized to just secure the anchor chain, but I wouldn't bet that it can withstand the boat weight.
Any experiences on that? Has anyone actually used it to lift the boat?

Old 08-11-2010, 10:26 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Paul,

Don't use that ring as a "lifting eye". Use a soft nylon heavy duty strap and run it though the eye on the outside front of bow.

You can put some towels around the rub rail when you lift to keep it from scratching etc...

That ring inside the locker is not for lifting.

Also, don't ever get in the habit of leaving an anchor in that locker for very long as it will tear the heck out of the boat while under way.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SDFever
That ring inside the locker is not for lifting.
Thanks Jason.
Out of curiosity, do you know what it's there for? Can't believe it's just meant to secure the anchor chain...
Which I'm not using anyway, no need for it on the lake. The scratches you might have seen come from the previous owner.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mapism
Thanks Jason.
Out of curiosity, do you know what it's there for? Can't believe it's just meant to secure the anchor chain...
Which I'm not using anyway, no need for it on the lake. The scratches you might have seen come from the previous owner.
I believe the bracket was put there due to the fact that the lifting eye was already planned in that same area. It's much easier, cheaper, and aesthetically pleasing to use studs from the eye vs. coming up with another mount that would be in the same basic area.

You can tell by the design that the load would not be shared evenly on the bracket... It's probably the easiest thing they found at the time to share the available studs from the eye.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:08 PM
Registered

You want a solid mounting point for securing the anchor. After all, you'd want to prevent it from moving as much as possible.

That ring is a solid mount to strap the anchor down on to..
Old 08-11-2010, 09:16 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

On my -93 the deck cleat is attached to the front bow eye like in your pictures (no anchor locker on the earlier 27).
I figured Fountain designed it this way to be used for emergecy recovery of the boat. I would not use it for lifting purpose though.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:16 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Rule # 1..... Don't listen to engineers who are not boaters. And even then it still might not be a good idea. They over think things
Old 08-11-2010, 10:57 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Actually, it is a lifting ring.
http://www.foreandaftmarine.com/Bowliftingeyes.htm
http://www.halemarine.com/index.php?...oducts_id=1456

Don't listen to boaters that are not engineers. That ring itself could almost lift the full weigh of your boat alone. A little overkill for an anchor rope/tie down, don't cha think? But do as you feel safe. The inside ring is located there because of the location of the bow eye in relation to the locker hatch opening. Open hatch, connect chain, lift boat up. Remember, the front doesn't have the weight of the motor and drive.

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 08-11-2010 at 11:32 PM.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:01 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
Actually, it is a lifting ring.
http://www.foreandaftmarine.com/Bowliftingeyes.htm
http://www.halemarine.com/index.php?...oducts_id=1456

Don't listen to boaters that are not engineers. That ring itself could almost lift the full weigh of your boat alone. A little overkill for an anchor rope/tie down, don't cha think? But do as you feel safe. The inside ring is located there because of the location of the bow eye in relation to the locker hatch opening. Open hatch, connect chain, lift boat up. Remember, the front doesn't have the weight of the motor and drive.
Agreed,

But I would probably only do it in an emergency. That is the same type of setup on my pantera, except mine is mouted above the deck. I have seen way smaller thing used to crane boats at the races.
Old 08-12-2010, 03:05 PM
Registered

Red face

So then I'm wrong but I still would not use it. That ring is no were near as strong as the lifting eye itself. They look like two totally different grades of hardware to me but I'm not an engineer.

Last edited by SDFever; 08-12-2010 at 03:08 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.