Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
Overheating during engine flush... >

Overheating during engine flush...

Notices

Overheating during engine flush...

Old 05-06-2002, 11:09 PM
Full Release

Question Overheating during engine flush...

I'm a new owner of a 35 Lightning (2000) with twin EFIs'. I am using a nose-cone and it appears to be pumping water fine through the system, but after about 4-5 minutes the water temp gets to high. Water temp is also fine during use on the water - so I'm a bit puzzled - and leads me to believe it is not the impellers.

Secondly, the boat has an internal flush kit? I've gotten mixed responses regarding the use - from, "it's better than a nose-cone but a hassle (since it's not located conveniently)," to, "it's much less effective and typically is only used while the boat is IN the water and WITHOUT running the engines" - - any advice here??

Thx!!

Old 05-08-2002, 12:15 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Full Release,
Do you have dual water pickups or just the low water pickup? On my dual water pickups I put the muffs on the side water pickup and crank the garden hose. When the motor fires I immediately see water pressure of 2-3 lbs. I have left the boat running 10-15 minutes without an overheat problem. I don't have a flush kit on mine. Maybe you can't use the muffs with the flush kit.

Dan
Old 05-08-2002, 09:41 AM
Full Release

candyman35

I have Bravo I's with just the pick-ups at the front of the torpedo - I'm using a nose-cone flush attachement and it seems to be working OK.

My new theory is that I may be running the RPM's too high (1500). I've learned in the past few days that I should be at idle - 1200 max. As a result, I may be creating too much pressure, collapsing the hose, and as a result - restricting water flow...

I will try to run at idle today to see if that allows me to run longer than 4- minutes.

Thanks for you response - let me know if you have any other ideas.

Old 05-11-2002, 03:04 PM
Full Release

Fever Mike -

Thx for your reply/instructions. I will be using it from now on - and have been a Salt-Away user for years on my prior boat.

Last question - is there any way to end up with water IN the engine while using the flush kit? (Another inconsistant remark I've heard for many boaters)

Thanks again!

Boz

Old 07-03-2005, 09:51 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Overheating during engine flush...

Hey guys, first post here. I found this thread with a search. Hopefully can get an answer even though everyone is probably out enjoying their boats today.
My girlfriends son has a 29 Fever single 525. Had it out yesterday watching the Blue Angels here in Pensacola. He pulled it home for the first time and used the side intake style flusher(rabbit ears?). The outdrive has a hole in the front of the torpedo too. Her is where the stuff happend. Water pump siezed up. Pulled it off and the impeller was busted up. Fixing to put it back on. Here are the Questions.
What is the correct way to flush these things?
Do yall think the way he flushed it cause the pump failure?
Is that motor oil in the front part of the pump and is there anything special to do about getting oil in there?