Reggie's Out, Are You? >

Reggie's Out, Are You?

Notices

Reggie's Out, Are You?

Old 12-17-2010, 03:13 PM
Registered

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
Fountain cutting edge? The line-up was unchanged for 10 years! The 42 PR was a new design but they only built a handful. Reggie was instrumental in making them faster, better handling but the boats lacked the "bling" that other manufacturers offer. Fountain remodeled the cabins in 08ish making them look fancier but the boats wouldn't be cutting edge in 2010.
I talked about bottoms and setup, you talk about interior.

It seems to me every Fountain that left the line was tweaked to the best available for that time. Maybe a little change in X, maybe weight distribution, etc. but the slight changes make even the same hull better year after year. Reggie never seemed to rest on his laurels.

I'm a huge fan of Donzi... but it seems to me for the most part Donzi will knock out a hull design, test the crap out of it, and that's that. All future boats are setup based on the initial testing which could be a 10 or more year run.

Fountain, to me, are very similar to Corvettes. People *****ed and complained for decades about the crappy interior, rattles, and squeaks. Every time I'd blow away a Porsche, NSX, etc. for half the cost the owners would talk about crappy Corvette interior. What are you going to do, shout to the Fountain that passes you about how ugly his interior is? The Corvette/Fountain owner is thinking to himself, I don't give a crap because I spent a whole lot less and am still faster.

Reggie always seemed concerned about the equipment, speed, and safety. Having a hard time finding threads about adding hydraulic steering on someone's Fountain? yeah, me too... because it has been standard for years now while other manufacturers still make it optional.

The way I, and some others see it, is my azz doesn't have eyeballs but it knows the difference in feeling between fast and slow as well as how thick my wallet is.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:10 PM
Registered

Received 938 Likes on 505 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteLT193

It seems to me every Fountain that left the line was tweaked to the best available for that time. Maybe a little change in X, maybe weight distribution, etc. but the slight changes make even the same hull better year after year. Reggie never seemed to rest on his laurels.

I'm a huge fan of Donzi... but it seems to me for the most part Donzi will knock out a hull design, test the crap out of it, and that's that. All future boats are setup based on the initial testing which could be a 10 or more year run.

Fountain, to me, are very similar to Corvettes. People *****ed and complained for decades about the crappy interior, rattles, and squeaks. Every time I'd blow away a Porsche, NSX, etc. for half the cost the owners would talk about crappy Corvette interior. What are you going to do, shout to the Fountain that passes you about how ugly his interior is? The Corvette/Fountain owner is thinking to himself, I don't give a crap because I spent a whole lot less and am still faster.

Reggie always seemed concerned about the equipment, speed, and safety. Having a hard time finding threads about adding hydraulic steering on someone's Fountain? yeah, me too... because it has been standard for years now while other manufacturers still make it optional.

The way I, and some others see it, is my azz doesn't have eyeballs but it knows the difference in feeling between fast and slow as well as how thick my wallet is.

Great analogy.....Corvettes and Fountains, both very good performers at reasonable prices (compared to competition).

I wasn't knocking Fountain, just not agreeing they were cutting edge. Reggie brought back the Executioner line and the ICBM line which looked like the originals. Not sure re-issuing a former model would be considered "cutting edge."

Staggered 35 that cracked 100 w/525's was impressive for sure. The bottoms performed great but the paint, vinyl, windshields, cabins, etc were time warp stuff (as in get in a new one and you felt like 1989 all over again).
Old 12-17-2010, 05:59 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Fountain or Fountain By Reggie

Kinda like Baja or Baja By Fountain.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:49 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bravo.....

well said. period, not just on the brand aspect either...
Old 12-17-2010, 07:09 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Kelly O
May want to look a little closer at the 09's that were built. Not many were, the ones out there earn respect everywhere they show up.

Agreed Kelly! Your boat is a perfect example of what has been coming out of Founain for the last coupe years. The custom paint with the real wow factor, billet hardware up the azz, the custom cockpit, the custom touches just go on and on. Not to mention those 6's hanging off the azz of that thing, and the numbers it will run.

Any Fountain over the years has, in my opinion, always earned respect at the dock, and even more so on the water.

Last edited by RaggedEdge; 12-17-2010 at 07:13 PM.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:29 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Good comparison.

Personally I am not a blingy guy, I can appreciate the custom touches, the things people do when customizing their boat to their tastes. But simple and functional with a classy look draws my eye more often than not. What surely will trip my trigger every time is how well a hull handles, will it run out straight and true, in control regardless of what you throw at it. For me this has always been where the Fountains shine. It is hard to match one in these terms anywhere near the same money.

Fancy chit makes for great talk on the dock, my this and my that. Bring it on out here and let's see what it's made of has always been the real deal for me. I have yet to see a fancy blingy thingy that made a boat faster, better handling, or safer.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:42 PM
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well said myman.i have always known that fountains were the working mans go-fast boats.fast,safe and affordable.they are like a sore cock,hard to beat.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:09 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I wasn't knocking Fountain, just not agreeing they were cutting edge. Reggie brought back the Executioner line and the ICBM line which looked like the originals. Not sure re-issuing a former model would be considered "cutting edge."
The name ICBM and Executioner were about the only thing that was the same as it was in 1989. The hull design, staggered engines, drives, interiors etc all were cutting edge.

Staggered 35 that cracked 100 w/525's was impressive for sure. The bottoms performed great but the paint, vinyl, windshields, cabins, etc were time warp stuff (as in get in a new one and you felt like 1989 all over again).
The paint, the cabins (re-designed in 08') were hardly from 1989. Do you just make this stuff up as you type?

Out of intrest I pulled up some classifieds of Sunsations? Are you kidding me?

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...&f=36372_6.jpg

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...&f=35676_2.jpg

Great interior if it was 1975...

Last edited by Fanatic; 12-17-2010 at 11:53 PM.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:25 PM
Registered

Great analogy.....Corvettes and Fountains, both very good performers at reasonable prices (compared to competition).

You have got to be *&%ing kidding me.. the new style lightning dash/interiors (08+)are one of the nicest ones in the v-bottom industry, hands down. You want to talk about low quality, garbage ergonomic, poor gauge location, STYLE, etc? You have a sunsation, so you can see an example right there. Also Baja for similar crap. IMO no other V can touch the new style interior.. this coming from a formula owner. (the build quality is high in the birds but thats about it).
I want to switch brands due to the performance and helm setup, cant be beat.
No fountain is not the "working mans" performance boat.. way higher end I dont know too many working Joe's who can shell out 250k + for a new 35 or 38 lightning. Lower end is Baja, sunsation, etc.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Kelly O
May want to look a little closer at the 09's that were built. Not many were, the ones out there earn respect everywhere they show up.
+1 (the lightnings from 08 and some 07's are too)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.