Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
HELP!!!!  water in the hull ????? >

HELP!!!! water in the hull ?????

Notices

HELP!!!! water in the hull ?????

Old 05-23-2002, 08:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would be very interested in knowing how these boats are built. There must be some sort of tunnel/false floor running under the boats. All my Fountains have had this problem. My 47 is getting water under the cabin steps all the time now. During a heavy rain it filled up a couple inches on the carpet. That really pissed me off. Bilge pump under the steps quit working. I can't figure out where the water comes from. Looking under the steps there is only a tube leading forward. Must be a tunnel leading back to the bilge. The cockpit drains go to this front area! I found this out when I was vacuuming the water out and dumping it in the cockpit. It came running back under the steps! Tipping the boat back on the trailer does not drain it out. As far as I can tell the water has to go forward before it can go back to the bilge. This makes it impossible to drain the boat completely. I'm running around with quite a bit of water in the boat all the time. Can't figure out how it gets in there in the first place. A gold star to the person who can tell me how this boat is built! Reggie?...
Old 05-23-2002, 09:30 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The bad part with all this water everywhere is not just the fact it's a nuisance. You also have to remember that hull blisters can form from the inside-out as well as from the outside-in.
Old 05-28-2002, 11:01 AM
E Z TERMS

32 fever...............

i found out where a lot of water was coming in this weekend..............
dude, you wont believe it........

the bow rail and front cleat are NOT bedded (sealed) when they are installed.................

mine is original and its never been sealed.............i dont know if they forgot it or what.............

thats where the water comes in to the bathroom carpet..........

go figure

ez

Old 05-30-2002, 01:50 AM
Registered

Had the same problem with water in cabin floor of my 42 (and also under step). Sealed the following and have not had water problems since:
1. Rub rail around the entire boat.
2. Rail bases where bolted to fiberglass. (make sure bolts tight)
3. Windshield entirely where meets fiberglass. Also pulled foam stripping out and tightened / sealed all screws attaching windshield.

Prior to this, I would wet vac all the water out, wash the boat, and the water would be back.
Old 05-30-2002, 12:05 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Originally posted by E Z TERMS
32 fever...............

i found out where a lot of water was coming in this weekend..............
dude, you wont believe it........

the bow rail and front cleat are NOT bedded (sealed) when they are installed.................

mine is original and its never been sealed.............i dont know if they forgot it or what.............

thats where the water comes in to the bathroom carpet..........

go figure

ez
Thanks EZ... I just got my full cover, and I was hoping that would take care of any rain water or such getting in the boat.

The question is, seal the boat for no leaks, or make the cracks larger so the boat sinks and we can get new ones....hmmmmm... LOL!

We cleaned all the water out, and it was back after the huge amount of rain we've gotten and it was before I got the cover.

Man are these things a lot of extra work

Mark
Old 05-30-2002, 09:01 PM
Registered

The entire windshield on my 27 doesn't have a drop of sealant in it. The boat gets soaked when I wash it. I'm still tying to seal all the leaks in the windshield framing. For the price they charge us for these "offshore" boats at least they could spare 5 bucks for some sealant.

Mine leaked so much before I got it that the black decal on the dash has come off (only partially so it looks really crapy). I am working of a nice fix though.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-06-2002, 07:46 AM
fullthrottle42

Default Water

There are two drains in your cockpit. One on each side. These drains have tubes attach to them. Mine were not long enough and had to be lengthened. They run over your fuel tank. Water can get trapped if they are to short. I know several owners with this same problem. Fountain should put out a service letter when crap like this exisits. One owner I know entrapped so much water that he gained 1600lbs over time. Yes thats a real number not a typo.

Old 10-26-2002, 01:01 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 1987 33ft and while I was winterizing it I noticed water under the V-Berth compartment and where the porta pottie goes!! I sucked all the water I could see and then went outside and shook the boat on the trailer, I could still hear water!! What the F*%K???? How in the Hell am I suppose to get to that water?? Do I have to drill a hole from another compartment?? It sounds like it's under the very front part of the V-Berth. What if I take out the mirror in the front of the V-Berth will I be able to get to anything from there???

BTW, I believe the 1600lbs!!
Old 10-26-2002, 01:14 PM
Registered

this seems to be a huge over sight on fountains part.
Old 10-26-2002, 08:33 PM
toonatime

Some builders put short tubes on pop up cleats which drain into the bow area..

Quick Reply: HELP!!!! water in the hull ?????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.