27 Fountain Volvo??????? >

27 Fountain Volvo???????

Notices

27 Fountain Volvo???????

Old 09-18-2011, 06:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Twin O/B Sonic
What you are describing w/the props is "rake". I know props pretty well and can tell you that the rear prop on the current drives looks just like what us O/B guys call a "Yamaha Drag".
Yamaha's failed attempt at Hi Perf props but ended up being the basis of the baddest O/B drag props on the planet.
I have owned every one made, in 2" incrimements from 18" to 28".
Check my website out to learn more about props.
You clearly were on the right page.
TwoStrokeOnly.com
Checked out your website..and I know I have busted your balls from time to time on OSO....but I have to admit..I am a huge fan of the Old School Two Strokes...and I must give you Mad Props.

Not to Hijack...but...what are your thoughts on the OG Evinrude/Johnson V8 OB? A guy on our lake used to have a CAT with twin V8s..back in the 80's (the glory years) and it was the sickest sounding OB I have heard to date. He raced it..not sure what sanctioning body...but I do know he wrecked it on the East Coast and almost killed himself. His last name was Regeer.

Regardless....I gotta give respect where respect is due...I love the mosquito killers.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:20 PM
Registered

Toolz I'm not a hater. Just had never even heard of one let alone seen one. My Cobalt was powered the same way. Was a nice stable boat but was slow. Made agreat family boat plenty of power for skiing and tubing.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:03 PM
Registered

Thats a really unique package for that 27. Not what I would want, but cool nonetheless. Would be a great boat for someone who cruises long distances/high hour use and still wants a performance style boat.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TRL505
Checked out your website..and I know I have busted your balls from time to time on OSO....but I have to admit..I am a huge fan of the Old School Two Strokes...and I must give you Mad Props.

Not to Hijack...but...what are your thoughts on the OG Evinrude/Johnson V8 OB? A guy on our lake used to have a CAT with twin V8s..back in the 80's (the glory years) and it was the sickest sounding OB I have heard to date. He raced it..not sure what sanctioning body...but I do know he wrecked it on the East Coast and almost killed himself. His last name was Regeer.

Regardless....I gotta give respect where respect is due...I love the mosquito killers.
Those V8 Johnsons are cool motors.. heard they are extremely tempermental though
Old 09-18-2011, 10:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by breakitout
Thats a really unique package for that 27. Not what I would want, but cool nonetheless. Would be a great boat for someone who cruises long distances/high hour use and still wants a performance style boat.
I'm sure that's what the original buyer wanted, and I can understand- he didn't need speed, but wanted the best built boat (IMO) that there was. Can't argue with his logic, and it probably even cost him more than the same power with a Merc.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:43 AM
Registered

Received 1,930 Likes on 756 Posts
Default Imo........

Originally Posted by toolz
I'm sure that's what the original buyer wanted, and I can understand- he didn't need speed, but wanted the best built boat (IMO) that there was. Can't argue with his logic, and it probably even cost him more than the same power with a Merc.
kinda like screwing in diesels instead of ground on gas motors and their required maintenance. You buy your boat to sit at dock w/hatches up or run??
Would have loved to have driven the 24' Donzi I saw w/the twins.

On the V-8 O/B's (not to hi-jack the thread) they were probably the most under recognized O/B on the planet. Tons and tons of potential.
Gordon Montague of Monty racing (.com) is a buddy/neighbor of mine and one of the best on the planet at waking one up. You can have 400+ HP's of pump gas, bullet proof, 7500 rpm motor in a 550 b package.
They were criticized for being heavy in the day (light by todays 4 stroke standards) which they were but not when no one else made an O/B that strong (Merc did for a few yrs at a similar weight). Also labeled as gas hogs. Again, compared to????

Here's a couple of pix's to show their potential.
#1. Read the specs. Remember, this is in 1984/5! No computers, no injection, and on pump gas w/a warranty! If BRP would bring these back as an E-Tec they would have something.
Very few built/sold.

#2. We like when you cahr moter guys pick on us This is almost 600 cu. in's of blown power against an itsy bitsy 240 cu.in. 8 on juice. Set to kill it takes juice or forced induction to get around a clip on.
A friend of mine that just passed away has the world record for a clip on in a 1/4 mile.
7.54 @ 156 in a 150lb boat w/a 2.5 liter motor on juice.
To say the driver had stones would be an understatement.

And 505, no worries. I've swam upstream all my life.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:48 AM
Registered

Received 1,930 Likes on 756 Posts

Continuing to bogart this thread ....., here's a cool video just sent to me.
40 cu. in's, horizontally opposed 4 banger w/sliding expansion chambers (200+ hp's) on a 13' boat. The first 2 1/2 mins is milling before the start (fast forward). After the start listen to the hull hit the waves. You'll hear it go quiet when the sponsons pack enough air to lift off the water.
The Kilo record for this class is in the 130's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVI-t...eature=related
Old 09-19-2011, 08:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Twin O/B Sonic
Continuing to bogart this thread ....., here's a cool video just sent to me.
40 cu. in's, horizontally opposed 4 banger w/sliding expansion chambers (200+ hp's) on a 13' boat. The first 2 1/2 mins is milling before the start (fast forward). After the start listen to the hull hit the waves. You'll hear it go quiet when the sponsons pack enough air to lift off the water.
The Kilo record for this class is in the 130's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVI-t...eature=related
I have a boner....that dude can wheel a boat...fo sho.