27 Fountain Volvo??????? >

27 Fountain Volvo???????

Notices

27 Fountain Volvo???????

Old 09-15-2011, 05:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 27 Fountain Volvo???????

Never heard of one or seen one until now. Did Fountain actually put these in their boats.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NICE-...item4aaeba5b9d
Old 09-15-2011, 06:40 PM
Registered

wouldnt be my first choice in powertrain..
Old 09-15-2011, 08:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by the mayor
Never heard of one or seen one until now. Did Fountain actually put these in their boats.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NICE-...item4aaeba5b9d
ummmmm.....gay. Maybe a OMC Cobra would be a better choice...or a Force Outboard.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:48 PM
Registered

Received 1,905 Likes on 743 Posts

Wow. Doesn't even look right does it?

The good is, for a single engine in that boat.... handling would be second to none. It's big enough that around dock you'd want twins and a Duo Prop would do it on a single.
I was selling boats when those came out and they are amazing.
I remember doing a demo w/a 25' trailerable cruiser w/one. Weather sucked and we did it with the full camper enclosure up in a strong wind. I told the boss I'd destroy the boat doing it.

Off the trailer, in/out of dock and back on the trailer w/o touching anything. I was amazed. Trim was also hyper effective.
During my time w/them Volvo tried to do the hi perf boat market but failed.
I saw a well restored 24' Donzi w/twin small blocks and Duo Props for sale. (Should have bought that boat)

Bad is, they are slow and ugly. The seller is going to get hit hard having that drive in this boat.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:58 PM
Registered

He would probably be better off removing the engine and drive and selling the hull only.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:12 AM
Registered

Default Would think...

Originally Posted by Racerngr1
He would probably be better off removing the engine and drive and selling the hull only.
almost have to be a re-power?
Old 09-18-2011, 12:26 AM
Registered

That's my boat, and don't be a hater till you drive one. Not the way I would have ordered it either, but it does handle great. It's not a re-power. The boat is about as original as they come, and in real nice shape. I did have a carberated 555 in it for a short time. Ran 75 mph and it would track straight as an arrow with no hands on the wheel. The 290DP is a tough drive, and can be made fast with a little work. The DPX was cleaner and faster, but newer than this boat. Pervious owners were an older couple on LOTO, and traded it on a big criuser. The boat ain't fast now, but I would still rather be seen (and drive) a Fountain with a Volvo than a Rinker with a Merc!
Old 09-18-2011, 04:32 AM
Registered

Default Interesting........

Originally Posted by toolz
That's my boat, and don't be a hater till you drive one. Not the way I would have ordered it either, but it does handle great. It's not a re-power. The boat is about as original as they come, and in real nice shape. I did have a carberated 555 in it for a short time. Ran 75 mph and it would track straight as an arrow with no hands on the wheel. The 290DP is a tough drive, and can be made fast with a little work. The DPX was cleaner and faster, but newer than this boat. Pervious owners were an older couple on LOTO, and traded it on a big criuser. The boat ain't fast now, but I would still rather be seen (and drive) a Fountain with a Volvo than a Rinker with a Merc!
When I was selling boats in that era, we had a couple 23' Crownline sport cuddies that they dressed up in Offshore style and installed, I think 502's w/Duo Props. Don't remember drive model but do remember Volvo was making a push towards performance at the time. I think our reps were claiming mid 70's w/the Crownlines and were very nice packages.
During same era I sold a 20' open bow w/a 205 V-6 Duo Prop to a family of hard core skiers. I was too at the time and remember the guys being specific w/what they wanted and if a V-6 would even work. Dealer allowed sea trials so I took the 3 of them (all 6' + and 200 + lbs) out and I skied behind it. Insurance wouldn't allow buyers to.
The thing was the absolute best, V-6 powered ski boat I was ever behind. Ran low 50's as I recall as well.
Buyers used to stop in on their way to the lake just to tell me how much they liked the boat.
I think I've read tests saying the DP's give up 3 mph's to the Bravo's on identical rigs w/stock big block power???
If you then look at how much more efficient it is everywhere else where we spend most of our time.......
W/higher power things change of course.
Old 09-18-2011, 05:16 PM
Registered

When I was doing the initial break-in with the 555, I used the stock C4 propset. With 3 times the prop surface area over a single prop. it came out of the water like a ski boat- would damn near stand on end. With no performance props available for the 290, I researched the E series props (for the DPX) and found the splines to be the same, but the blades were back farther on the hub. With a little machining, the E4 set mounted up, with the blades 2" rearward of the originals. Kinda acted like a standoff box. Got up on plane great, and ran about 75. There was more in it, but the decision was made to sell the boat before I could use the injected 555, which is a lot stronger than the carb motor was. There was an E5 propset made, but only experimental, from what I was told. I have the inner, but no outer. 80 mph was easily possible with the E5's, or modifying the E4's a bit. Not too shabby for a "gay" outdrive. Maybe if I painted it black...
Old 09-18-2011, 05:38 PM
Registered

Default Very interesting....

Originally Posted by toolz
When I was doing the initial break-in with the 555, I used the stock C4 propset. With 3 times the prop surface area over a single prop. it came out of the water like a ski boat- would damn near stand on end. With no performance props available for the 290, I researched the E series props (for the DPX) and found the splines to be the same, but the blades were back farther on the hub. With a little machining, the E4 set mounted up, with the blades 2" rearward of the originals. Kinda acted like a standoff box. Got up on plane great, and ran about 75. There was more in it, but the decision was made to sell the boat before I could use the injected 555, which is a lot stronger than the carb motor was. There was an E5 propset made, but only experimental, from what I was told. I have the inner, but no outer. 80 mph was easily possible with the E5's, or modifying the E4's a bit. Not too shabby for a "gay" outdrive. Maybe if I painted it black...
What you are describing w/the props is "rake". I know props pretty well and can tell you that the rear prop on the current drives looks just like what us O/B guys call a "Yamaha Drag".
Yamaha's failed attempt at Hi Perf props but ended up being the basis of the baddest O/B drag props on the planet.
I have owned every one made, in 2" incrimements from 18" to 28".
Check my website out to learn more about props.
You clearly were on the right page.
TwoStrokeOnly.com

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.