Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
Ilmor 625 in a 29 >

Ilmor 625 in a 29

Notices

Ilmor 625 in a 29

Old 09-28-2012, 10:13 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1!! Love the Ilmore v10 in the 29' Fever! Very interested to see what prop/gearing/x-dimension ends up yielding the best performance for you with this package.

Originally Posted by Reggie
Great thread to read, awesome project, keep us posted.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Boostaholic
+1!! Love the Ilmore v10 in the 29' Fever! Very interested to see what prop/gearing/x-dimension ends up yielding the best performance for you with this package.
Thanks and definitely will keep you up to date. I'm still out of commission but Troy's got my boat down Supreme Marine and he's going to test it for me. I've still got another month or so until I can finally use it again so while he's got it I'm having him shorten my windshield and I'm also having him fix a couple of minor marks in the paint and I'm having him clear coat it as well. I've seen some boats that they cleared and it's a night and day difference. They do a 5 layer clear coat that's a smooth mirror finish.
Besides that he's already changed the gear ratio to a 1.50 from a 1.34 so now I'm just waiting for him to test it. He's been a little busy down there but I'm sure he'll have it done by the time I'm ready to use it........... I hope anyway.

Last edited by Spinletto; 09-29-2012 at 05:46 AM.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:23 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep us updated. It sounds like a very fun combo!!
Old 10-03-2012, 11:39 PM
Registered

Default 29 fever

I have put v-10's in 5 different boats. Donzi's, Fountains and Eliminators. The weight is the biggest difference! When you remove that much weight from the rear of the boat it changes the whole center of gravity. It puts the front of the boat deeper and makes it bow steer. In the 42 we took out the hardware in the cabin and it changed everything. On a Donzi shelby 22 we needed a shorter drive and a setback box with large 380 tabs. The boat was built at Fountain and they are the experts. They should be the ones with the most knowledge to help. Put 400 lbs of sand in the rear and measure the water lines front and rear. When you take it out measure it again and mark it. This will give you an idea on how much different the boat rides with the motor swap. Remove everything from the cabin and run it (even the Ice chest and all the wood around it) It will ride different. I hope this helps. joe
Old 01-16-2013, 10:17 AM
Registered

Default Finally got it back on the water!!

I finally got a chance to get the boat back on the water to prop test it again. Since I was going to be out for several months after my back surgery I had Troy at Supreme Marine do a little custom work for me and which turned out great. I had him cut down the windshield and clear coat the boat.

Windshield Before:

Windshield After:

I know you can’t tell from the pictures but the clear coat really makes a difference, it looks like a brand new boat.

Besides the cosmetic stuff I also had him change to gears in the lower from 1.34 to 1.50 so for the prop test we’ve got a -2 lower, 1.50 gear ratio, and a 25p Herring 5 blade. Acceleration was a little slow to plane but not terrible. Top speed was 77mph, RPM was 5600 or 5700 (hard to tell) which is giving me a slip of 13 to 14% but we’re short about 300 RPM. I talked to Herring and they seem to think they can get it dialed in a little better for me to get the RPM I need and make it plane a little faster. I’m going to send it back to them to have them rework it for me and this weekend I’m going to try and Hydromotive 25p P5X.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:45 PM
Registered

windshield looks great... I think it makes the boat!!!
Old 01-16-2013, 08:36 PM
Registered

That's one of the best looking 29's I've seen, awesome work!
Old 03-21-2013, 10:12 AM
Registered

Well I ran the Hydromotive 25p P5X and the reworked Herring and I’m still off. The Hydromotive 25p P5X gave me good acceleration and a top speed of 77 @ 6100rpm (almost rev limit). The Herring was a little better to plane (but not as good as the Hydromotive) but only gave me 74 at 6100rpm. When I sent the Herring back they said they were going to take a ¼ in off the diameter which would make it 15 1/4in. They thought this would help with the hole shot. They also said they would release a little cup to help out with the rpm. As I mentioned the hole shot was better but not as good as the Hydromotive but now the slip is too high at 23%. It seems like the 15in diameter is giving me a best hole shot so one would think cut the diameter down on the Herring and add cup to both to fix the slip and bring down the rpm's right? Herring isn’t 100% sure that would work, but of course if I want to send it back they’ll be more than happy to rework it for me. This is very frustrating! My best so far is 81 so I’m obviously going the wrong way here.
After my last run I’ve decided I’ve had enough trying to figure this out myself. I’ve been talking to Mark Wilson over at Wilson Custom Marine over here near me in Stuart, FL about this project and he seems to think he can help. I know WCM are experts with the Ilmor’s as well as Fountain’s so I told him to work his magic and get this thing dialed in for me. Let’s see what he comes up with.

Last edited by Spinletto; 03-21-2013 at 10:25 AM.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:57 PM
Registered

I think the maximus props would be an all around better prop , you could get ahold of bblades and rent a set or any other props .
Old 03-21-2013, 02:52 PM
Registered

Where's the prop shaft in relation to the hull with that -2?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.