Props in vs. out >

Props in vs. out

Notices

Props in vs. out

Old 10-13-2011, 08:16 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I spin them in and docking is easy...The boat handles and feels way better..Plus who wouldn't want 3-4 mph for free!!!!
Old 10-13-2011, 08:31 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I got .5 mph more, I would run them that way. It's probly the boat racer in me.
After mastering, docking manuvers on my 27 single and an old owens 27 cruiser single, (IN THE WIND) I feel I can do anything.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:35 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I LIKE inward rotation better, nut here the other day, I changed the rotation from out to in on a 1994 35 Lightning (non stepped) with 2x720 hp, and that boat was slower turning them in. So we switched back to OUT.. Strange?!?!?!
Old 10-13-2011, 05:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Call me new, but what is involved in changing from out to in? Simple answer will suffice for now. Thanks!
Old 10-13-2011, 05:52 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Just to make sure I understand in vs out. Is rotating in when your Port Prop rotates Clockwise and your starboard counter clockwise?
Old 10-13-2011, 06:07 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by diverkr
Call me new, but what is involved in changing from out to in? Simple answer will suffice for now. Thanks!

For a short term test you can simply change props from one drive to the other, then place shifters in reverse position to move foreward, into foreward position to move backwards. Longer term just change the cable location on the shifter unit.

This deal works on a Bravo set up, Bravos do not really know what direction they are running in.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:05 PM

In ..........................
Old 10-13-2011, 08:16 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Originally Posted by fountainfan42
In ..........................
Ok so mine must be spinning out. My Port prop spins counter clockwise and my Starboard Clockwise. I may look at switching mine to see how the boat reacts.
When you change the cables at the helm what exactly do you do? I have the Gaffrig 4 throttle controls. Right now I push the drive levers up to go forward. If I wanted to get the props turning in what would I need to do with the cables to get the to make the boat go forward by pushing the controls up like I do now? Do I also need to swicth the props from port to starboard and starboard to port?
Old 10-14-2011, 06:11 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by rgrgoog
Ok so mine must be spinning out. My Port prop spins counter clockwise and my Starboard Clockwise. I may look at switching mine to see how the boat reacts.
When you change the cables at the helm what exactly do you do? I have the Gaffrig 4 throttle controls. Right now I push the drive levers up to go forward. If I wanted to get the props turning in what would I need to do with the cables to get the to make the boat go forward by pushing the controls up like I do now? Do I also need to swicth the props from port to starboard and starboard to port?
Just swap the props around and leave the cables where they are for now. Forward will then be reverse, and reverse will be forward. if you like it, then swap the cables around.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:41 PM
Registered

On mine, I started out in and switched to out. Turning in pulls the stern down, turning out lifts the stern. On a 32 with twin big blocks, there is an awful lot of weight aft, so at everything under about 50 or so, the boat needs tabs down. Also, in rough ocean conditions here in the Pacific, the boat almost always needs some tabs down.

I found that by having the props turning in, I needed a little less tab, so it ran faster at partial throttle.

I could not measure a difference at top end, but It was easy to see the improvement at partial throttle.

Also, I found that its now much easier -- automatic really -- to turn the boat on a dime. Less radical turns are basically the same. However, moving the boat sideways when approaching the trailer to haul it out is a little tougher.

I am sure that Reggie set them up for max speed, so I'd stuck with what he did originally if you are all about max speed.

But try it: its easy to experiment if you've got Bravos.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.