Anybody pull a 38 w a 3/4 ton? >

Anybody pull a 38 w a 3/4 ton?

Notices

Anybody pull a 38 w a 3/4 ton?

Old 10-20-2011, 11:37 PM
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mcprodesign
Yea Dave, seems like every time I get a new boat I have to buy a new truck latey I'm gonna hook it to my pusher for the hell of it. I'll be a touch over 80 feet. Probly need one of my friends that has a class A lic. to come with.
The Diesel MH should tow it just fine. Go to the DOT and get a CA oversized load permit. I am not sure what they cost now, but used to be about $125 a year when I towed the 28' Campbell around. I used to carry the oversized signs and flags, but never put them on and no one ever checked or asked.

Where is the boat coming from and what does it have for power? You are going to love having twins.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:30 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dkahnjob
The Diesel MH should tow it just fine. Go to the DOT and get a CA oversized load permit. I am not sure what they cost now, but used to be about $125 a year when I towed the 28' Campbell around. I used to carry the oversized signs and flags, but never put them on and no one ever checked or asked.

Where is the boat coming from and what does it have for power? You are going to love having twins.
Well lets put it this way. there is a 35 w 500's and a 38 w 575's. i am goin all in on the 38. Need to get a few things lined up to get it. I'll let you know.
Chad
Old 10-21-2011, 06:04 PM
Platinum Member

Well lets put it this way. there is a 35 w 500's and a 38 w 575's. i am goin all in on the 38. Need to get a few things lined up to get it. I'll let you know.
Chad
Hi Chad,
As you know I had a 35' with 500's and it was a fabulous lake boat, but there were times in the ocean where a bigger boat would have been really nice. I think I would go for the 38' you won't regreat that. I have heard that the 575's are pretty thirsty and blower parts can be hard to come by (B&M no longer supports them). But if push came to shove you could always convert over to 671's.
Go for it.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:57 AM
Registered

I pull a 38 fever with a crew cab 2500 hd. 8.1/allison, pulls great, the trailer is setup with electric/hydraulic disk's on all 3 axles and stops great also. I would like to put air bags, or some sort of helper spring in the rear though, mainly because of other stuff I haul but it couldnt hurt for towing the boat, it does feel a little squishy on rough roads.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Dkahnjob
Hi Chad,
As you know I had a 35' with 500's and it was a fabulous lake boat, but there were times in the ocean where a bigger boat would have been really nice.
Ocean likes length, never long enough.

Towing, you gotta pay attention no matter what. The turning circle of my truck is so enormous that the length of the load is not too relevant. I bet you'd never notice the difference between a 30 footer and a 42 behind you.

Has anyone who made this jump noticed a difference in maneuvering a 42 or 38 over, say, a 30?
Old 10-25-2011, 05:19 AM
Registered

Yea Dave, seems like every time I get a new boat I have to buy a new truck latey I'm gonna hook it to my pusher for the hell of it. I'll be a touch over 80 feet. Probly need one of my friends that has a class A lic. to come with.
I pulled my 38 with a 40' pusher all over the country coast to coast a few times never had any problems. Ran 75 to 80 out west that is the way to go on long trips. Also have a dually for around town trips.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mudslide
I pulled my 38 with a 40' pusher all over the country coast to coast a few times never had any problems. Ran 75 to 80 out west that is the way to go on long trips. Also have a dually for around town trips.
What HP? I have a 38 Monaco w 300 8.3 alison 6 speed. Did you do better than 40 mph up big hills? thanks
Old 10-25-2011, 06:04 PM
Registered

Did you ever get pulled over? Must be about 90' long! You're right , no better way to travel than sitting in a filling station on a leather recliner having some great home cookin' ! I'm about 7 grand away from getting my 38.