Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
Fuel/Water separators - location? >

Fuel/Water separators - location?

Notices

Fuel/Water separators - location?

Old 10-26-2011, 06:30 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Fuel/Water separators - location?

Where are the fuel/water separators located on the 29' Fever with twin 6.2 MPIs (2006). I'm used to looking for a spin on separator that looks a lot like an oil filter. I've looked everywhere and even hung upside down in the process and came up empty.

Yes, it is embarrassing to ask these simple questions! I looked all over the net and still came up empty. Help!
Old 10-26-2011, 07:48 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure on yours, but my 502's have them down low on starboard side. They have plastic covers that snap around them. Just follow your fuel line.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:12 PM
Registered

Seems the Gen III uses a cartridge filter that goes inside a fuel cooler on the starboard side of each engine. The cartridge is about 5 times as expensive as the spin on type of fuel filter and looks like it will take about five times as long to change. Not sure why this change was made but that is why I could never spot the spin-on fuel filter/water separator I was looking for.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:55 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

http://www.mercurypartsexpress.com/u...8mr1306ar17278
go to attached image this should help you.
the cool fuel filter box looks like the one in the image and the filter is under the handle remove the 3 screws and pull up see # 28 there also is a micro filter under the main filter#23 "see image"

Last edited by blownincome; 02-24-2012 at 03:03 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:34 PM
Registered

Thanks :-) I got my hands on a manual and I ordered two new filters. I thought I'd do a few pictures and a write up for the rest of the new-bees like me who were going crazy looking for the typical spin-on-off "oil filter type water/fuel filter/separator. Your illustration shows a screen below the filter that is not pictured in the manual I have. I'll make sure and check that out. Thanks for taking the time to send me the link. I've got the fuel filters to change, gear lube in the Bravos (looks like I'll have to take the props off to do this), and the oil coolers to take off and clean (oil temps of 280 when running fast) and I'll be ready for this season. Not that any of these tasks are rocket science it's just the first time doing this on a new to me boat. I appreciate any and all advise.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:45 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

No Problem , yes you will have to pull the prop to pill the drain plug for the Bravo 1 drive also do your self a favor and get a seal for the drain plug cheep insurance against water intrusion in your drive, Hydraulic pressure will let water in when the boat is at rest in the water if the seal is bad , on the overheat issue just back flush your cooler you either have lake debris or pieces of a old impeller lodged in it pull the hose off the back of the raw water pump and off the other end of the cooler and flush water back threw should flush anything bad out, also take the end off your heat exchanger and make sure nothing is in the end of the cooler, the site that has the image I sent you will have images of all the parts of your engine you can look it up by engine vin/id or model good luck
Bob