Oil coolers >

Oil coolers

Notices

Oil coolers

Old 12-13-2011, 08:37 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Oil coolers

I am interested in what other owners are doing to keep oil temps down when fast cruising. My 29' w/twin 6.2s will pull 280º oil temp in a short period of time (it does come right back down when driving slower). Has anyone tried aftermarket oil coolers or what are you doing? 280º seems a bit high to me. Recommendations?
Old 12-13-2011, 08:40 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is that temp being read before the cooler?
Old 12-14-2011, 06:14 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to say I don't know. I am a new owner and have only used the boat twice before having to put it away for the winter. The temps I mentioned were on the gauges on both port and starboard engines. I "assumed" the boat had no oil cooler and was wondering what folks added on to their Fountains. I have only been able to come up with one MerCruiser PN# for an oil cooler that fits 5.7, 6.2, and 8.1. It is part # 863832T01
Old 12-14-2011, 08:37 PM
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have never seen a fountain,let alone any other boat without a oil cooler of some sort,,,,,,,,,i may be wrong.my 27 has a 3" round cooler mounted on the back of the bell housing,my 33 has them in the bell housing,plate style.locate the 1 1/4 rubber hose under the motors andtrace it out and see what you find.