new to powerboating, looking for driving tips

Notices

new to powerboating, looking for driving tips

Old 12-23-2011, 10:54 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default new to powerboating, looking for driving tips

hey guys,

I'm new to the power boating world, and to this site, as far as an owner/ driver, but have been around a few fountain boats growing up. I recently purchased a 2001 29 fever with the 500hp efi single set up. some of you may know the boat, it is actually patomic fever's old boat. Absolutely am in love with the boat, couldn't ask for a cleaner 01, and patomic was a great guy to buy from. The weekend I got the boat home, I put it in twice for a couple 1 hour runs since it was pretty cool up here in early november but couldn't help myself before I had it winterized. I quickly got a feel for usinig the tabs, and also the trim on the drive and how it reacted in the conditions I was running the boat in. The first day was 50 degrees, with a strong 25 mph wind with good 3 footers in the open water but 6 inch to 1 ft chop on the backside of the large island I live near. When I ran the boat wide open, i ran the drive up to around 5-6, with the tabs backed completely off, with the wind at my back and also running with the current, and saw 78 mph on a hand held GPS! that was with a 3/4 tank of fuel on the gauge and 1 passanger. The second day, the conditions were 60 degress, and the water was very flat with only a 10 mph wind. Ran it wide open a few times for a bout a mile a piece, and saw 74-76 consistantly, with the same drive/trim adjustments as before with slight wind/current at my back. I do know that these numbers are fairly close, as I figured out how to use the recall on the garmin 192c gps that came with the boat, and that the hand held gps seemed to be only 1 off at the most when riding in a vehicle. I ran on the same tank of gas, so burning some, with 1 passanger again, and may i add that the boat was running 5300-5400 rpm on the analog tach both days. So judging from that, I believe the rev limiter is at 5350rpm, it sounds to me that I might have a little bit of wiggle room to go a little more progressive on the prop. I am currently running a 26 degree bravo 1 mercury racing prop (original with the boat on the reggie report). I called hydromotive last week and the gentlman explained to me that the bravo props, on average seemed to run a degree under what they were described as, technically mine being more like a 25. He told me that going to their true 26 degree stainless, I might be able to gain a 1-2 mph by just changing the prop! I realize that during normal conditions, such as in the middle of the summer with the air/ water being wamer, and also having a full tank and passanger load, I will probably easily loose 4-5 mph off of what I was running. So it sounds like that during the summer, with the hydro prop, i still might be able to run 73-75 mph! I would be tickled pink to be able to see those numbers consistantly. I'm not looking to break any speed records, but just get the most out of my stock boat as I can so any suggestions are appreciated. Does it sound like these numbers are way off?, or definitely fairly true? btw, reggie report says 77 mph at 5 on the drive and 3 on the tabs with 40 gallons of fuel at 42 degree air and 1 ft chop.

Also, I was told that cruising at 3400 -3600 rpm is going to be my most fuel efficient pace. is that true? I ran the boat at this range with a 2-3 on the drive and 3-4 on the tabs, is this a good setup? Also, at WOT i ran 5-6 on the drive, and even ran it up to 6.5 to see what it would do, but i feel the nose was up too high and it felt like i was loosing on top speed, also I ran WOT with tabs backed all the way off. The boat did start to chine walk a little at WOT, but i wouldn't consider it to be that bad, would the "back and forth" wheel technique clear this out?

Any advice, information, driving techniques are appreciated, thanks guys.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:51 PM
Registered

Received 54 Likes on 14 Posts

Brads a great guy, and the boat is truly immaculate and well cared for, very good purchase.

As far as the tabs, you'll find that neutral tab (even with bottom of the boat) will help settle a lot of that loose feeling, as opposed to running them all the way up. This won't scrub any speed either. Find out where neutral is with the boat out of the water, and remember the position on your indicator.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice boat you got.. I wouldn't run the drive anything over 5 on the dash until you measure it to be sure you aren't over-trimming it. If you dont want it to chine as much find out where your tabs are even with the hull on the gauge, and then run slightly down from there. That should keep it a little calmer. Just my opinions.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:19 PM
Registered

Received 134 Likes on 62 Posts

Look for a Tres Martin driving instruction course coming to your area and sign up. Well worth the money.
Old 12-31-2011, 05:52 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by sonicss42
Look for a Tres Martin driving instruction course coming to your area and sign up. Well worth the money.

Common sense and a little time, keep the money in your pocket. Play it slow and easy, you will master it in time.
Old 12-31-2011, 06:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by RaggedEdge
Common sense and a little time, keep the money in your pocket. Play it slow and easy, you will master it in time.
I totally agree with this. Get some wheel time under your belt. With that caliber of boat, I think experience/time will learn you the most.

Congrats on the new boat.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:56 AM
Registered

Received 260 Likes on 128 Posts

+1
Old 01-02-2012, 12:05 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for the advice guys. here's a couple pics
Attached Thumbnails new to powerboating, looking for driving tips-my-boat-2.jpg   new to powerboating, looking for driving tips-my-boat-12.jpg  
Old 01-02-2012, 07:07 AM
Registered

Sure, unknown PSI of steps can get someone hurt when things go wrong. More insurance risk.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 29Fever01
thanks for the advice guys. here's a couple pics

Looks nice man!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.