Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
Difference between Lightning & Executioner? >

Difference between Lightning & Executioner?

Notices

Difference between Lightning & Executioner?

Old 01-15-2012, 06:22 PM
Registered

Received 1,477 Likes on 824 Posts

Originally Posted by blownincome
Scott Shogren has a Smokin nice 07 w 525s looks like a real nice boat!
He has had that one and the loaded 05 for a while. I don't get why they haven't sold, both are very low hours.

Yamaha 225,

What do you think are the shortcomings of the EX? From what has been posted before for the years when both were made the bottoms are the same and until 07 cockpit was almost the same.

Just wondering what you have seen.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:18 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
He has had that one and the loaded 05 for a while. I don't get why they haven't sold, both are very low hours.

Yamaha 225,

What do you think are the shortcomings of the EX? From what has been posted before for the years when both were made the bottoms are the same and until 07 cockpit was almost the same.

Just wondering what you have seen.
Hi Wildman, (I now compare 42 Exec and Lightning. Not the 35s)

Both boats are excellent boats, don't misunderstand me. My customers who have driven both boats repeatedly comment a few things where the Lightning tend to win "the battle"....

1) The driver position is lower in the Exec, and tall people feel the dash and steeringwheel is "at their knees" when standing in the boat. Seats are not high enough to give support when driving the boat out in big swells.

2) The Lightning wind screen gives much better protection when going fast and especially when it rains. The Exec is not fun to run in rain as you get the raindrops in your face and it is difficult to see through the screen as it leans backward at a sharper angle (but looks better!).

3) The LGT will be much better with a canvas top in bad weather, and could be delivered as an option. The Exec never had this as an option.

4) The sunpad on the Exec is flush with the grab rail, whilst on the LGT, the grab rail is above the pad so it is safer and gives better "comfort" when there are wakes and you need to hold on. The sunpad/hatches are also better recessed in the LGT. Towels and other loose things stop at the rail on a LGT, but fall into the water on the Exec....

5) The Exec has a slightly steeper angle of the area on each side of the windscreen ("gunell"?) where you walk from the cockpit onto the deck and it is slick and sometimes "scary" when wet and the thin acryl windscreen is not a good thing to hold on to. The LGT has a wider area with less angle and is much safer to walk on to get onto the deck. It also has an aluminum profile on top of the screen to hold on to and it gives better grip and is more solid.

6) The dashboard is bigger on the "new style" LGT and gives more space for gauges/chart plotters etc. The angle is also different. The dash of the Exec is more horisontal while the LGT is more vertical. 2008--> is even more horisontal on the LGT and is better when going REALLY fast.

7) Cockpit is deeper on the LGT and gives better protection for wind, falling out of the boat and for bad weather. You reallt apprechiate this when doing long poker runs as it is less wind inside the boat.

8) The LGT has a bow locker for ropes, fenders etc, while the Exec does not have this (at least not the 35 Exec) Don't remember on the 42 Exec.... It saves space in the cockpit.

9) The LGT has a glowbox and the Exec has nothing. Great to store cell phones, sunblock, newspapers etc. so they don't lay around and get damaged while going fast. The LGT also have a small grab rail in front of the passenger seat, while the Exec has it on the side.

10) The 2006 --> LGT has the sliding door and most of them are tinted transparent acryl. This gives great natural lightning inside the cabin. However, it tend to be a little "stuck" when opening/closing. The simplicity of the old style door is better in fact, but looks older. The opening is also bigger on the sliding door boats and is easier to get in and out from. These boats have less space behind the dash though.

11) The LGT has a smoother styling and looks more modern. Especially the rear end of the boat. The angle of the swim platform is also more horisontal on the LGT and is safer when it is wet and you stand on it while the boat is going forward.

12) The LGT has a recessed swim ladder in the swim platform, while the Exec has no ladder that you can reach if you fall out of the boat as the Exec's ladder stows inside the cockpit. It is great to get onboard in case you fall out! That is no problem with the LGT build in fold down ladder.

13) The LGT came with an upgraded and much more modern cockpit interior in 2007 while the Exec had the same old style. The cabins are the same, but in 2008 the LGT got the new style cabin which looks 20 years newer. The forewad V berth is somewhat smaller but is big enough as long as you are only 2 persons in it . I believe the LGT also has more headroom inside the cabin and you notice the difference a lot when sitting on the bench seat as the Exec is too tight for you head.

14) The exec has a shorter engine compartment. 2x Merc 900 hp is tight in both versions. 2x1075 is not possible without modifying the hatches and squeese the engines in on the pre 2006 MY boats. The LGT came in fall 2005 with a new longer engine compartment (a totally new version of the 42 with higher hullsides and different center of gravity because of a shorther deck). That one LGT will have no problems housing 1075s without modification etc. The LGT can therefor handle power upgrades to Merc 1075s, but the Exec continued the same old deck (although had the new hull and raised hullsides in 2006) and it is not easy to make those engines fit if you want to upgrade.

So all in all, the LGT is a more modern lay out. I still LOVE the classic Exec and I guess it is just a matter of personal taste.

Please correct me if I have written anything wrong here.. I like to be precise so let me know if this is not 100% correct....

Thanks .

Last edited by Yamaha 225; 01-15-2012 at 08:32 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:41 PM
Registered

Received 1,477 Likes on 824 Posts

Yamaha 225,

I was just referring to the 42's and before the cockpit cabin changes.

You do make some good points. Didn't know about the engine compartment length difference, that is interesting, or that they changed the hullsides.

Thanks.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:48 PM
Registered

225 . That is a great read. Thanks for posting. Do you know if the 38 and 42 lightnings are the same width?
Old 01-16-2012, 06:03 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by mcprodesign
225 . That is a great read. Thanks for posting. Do you know if the 38 and 42 lightnings are the same width?
Yes they are the same. Early 38s are Fever versions with a windscreen going all the way out. They have better space inside the cockpit. But it is kind of difficult to get onto the deck... So I guess the smaller cockpit is better in the end of the day.

Imagine new boat builders whoi make a "sensational" boat... Do you think they have taken all these small little issues into consideration?!?! I think Fountain is the most developed V-bottom powerboat out there, and for sure the best handling. In addition it is the fastest and best looking and they are even not the most expencive! There is in fact no reason to buy anything else in my opinion... The bow profile is also a GREAT feature because it make the boat so dry inside, and is giving wind lift and is great when going ashore where it is shallow etc. I do not considder any other boat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And to yu who have other boats: Sell them! Hehehe
Old 01-16-2012, 10:06 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

8) The LGT has a bow locker for ropes, fenders etc, while the Exec does not have this (at least not the 35 Exec) Don't remember on the 42 Exec.... It saves space in the cockpit.

they do have a bow locker, everything else seems accurate
Attached Thumbnails Difference between Lightning & Executioner?-bow.jpg  
Old 01-16-2012, 11:37 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Yamaha 225
Yes they are the same. Early 38s are Fever versions with a windscreen going all the way out. They have better space inside the cockpit. But it is kind of difficult to get onto the deck... So I guess the smaller cockpit is better in the end of the day.

Imagine new boat builders whoi make a "sensational" boat... Do you think they have taken all these small little issues into consideration?!?! I think Fountain is the most developed V-bottom powerboat out there, and for sure the best handling. In addition it is the fastest and best looking and they are even not the most expencive! There is in fact no reason to buy anything else in my opinion... The bow profile is also a GREAT feature because it make the boat so dry inside, and is giving wind lift and is great when going ashore where it is shallow etc. I do not considder any other boat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And to yu who have other boats: Sell them! Hehehe
I totally agree