Towing a 27 or 29???? >

Towing a 27 or 29????

Notices

Towing a 27 or 29????

Old 02-20-2012, 07:24 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by speedfreek1
29 twin here , I tow with a ccsb duramax , would never pull with a 1/2 gasser , not that it wont but i sure feel a lot better with my kids and my wife in the truck knowing its built to stop that much weight..
29 with twins is definitely one that could go both ways as far as tow truck. And like I said I have done both and dont see the difference. And yeah you have a heavier truck in the 2500 but that also means more truck to stop ans you should be using the trailer and boat to stop you anyways. A lot of it boils down to is driver skill and decision making.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:18 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by speedfreek1
29 twin here , I tow with a ccsb duramax , would never pull with a 1/2 gasser , not that it wont but i sure feel a lot better with my kids and my wife in the truck knowing its built to stop that much weight..
I have the same boat, truck, kids and wife as Speedfreak. And feel exactly the same way he does.

I don't ever plan on screwing up while towing. Can't say the same for the idiots driving around me.

There's also a fully loaded crew cab 2012 4x4 Chevy half ton sitting in the driveway. That will never see the hitch of the boat.

I'm guessing some of you have never had some clown change lanes on you last minute when that twin engine Fountain is hanging off the back of your half ton? You people scare me.

All good when everything is going good. Its when the chit hits the fan that the little truck gets you in trouble. Remember, in almost every accident only half of the people were at fault.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:02 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jump on the Ford website and select "build your own." You can get a nice F150 EB that will tow 11,300 for a bit over 40k, a nice F350 dually diesel for mid 50s (rated 15,000 pound towing) and an F450 for about 60k rated at 17,500. I go to a working cattle ranch in Shell Wyoming every year. They have all three brands of trucks that haul 8-10 horses plus us at elevations up to 8000 feet. Each brand has its plusses and minus and it seems to change each year as one brand gets a little jump on another. I agree with many others on this forum when it comes to brakes. The trailer brakes should stop the trailer. Going through the brakes every year makes good sense.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:05 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wes Burmark
Jump on the Ford website and select "build your own." You can get a nice F150 EB that will tow 11,300 for a bit over 40k, a nice F350 dually diesel for mid 50s (rated 15,000 pound towing) and an F450 for about 60k rated at 17,500. I go to a working cattle ranch in Shell Wyoming every year. They have all three brands of trucks that haul 8-10 horses plus us at elevations up to 8000 feet. Each brand has its plusses and minus and it seems to change each year as one brand gets a little jump on another. I agree with many others on this forum when it comes to brakes. The trailer brakes should stop the trailer. Going through the brakes every year makes good sense.
I got my just about loaded XLT like you mentioned above for 38 after rebates was 32. Add crew cab to that and you would be sitting at 35.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:07 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rookie17
I have the same boat, truck, kids and wife as Speedfreak. And feel exactly the same way he does.

I don't ever plan on screwing up while towing. Can't say the same for the idiots driving around me.

There's also a fully loaded crew cab 2012 4x4 Chevy half ton sitting in the driveway. That will never see the hitch of the boat.

I'm guessing some of you have never had some clown change lanes on you last minute when that twin engine Fountain is hanging off the back of your half ton? You people scare me.

All good when everything is going good. Its when the chit hits the fan that the little truck gets you in trouble. Remember, in almost every accident only half of the people were at fault.
A 29 fountain hanging out the back of any truck and something happens isnt going to help you. Like I said with an F250 thats just another 1500lbs more to try and stop along with the boat. I get what your saying but when your towing the best method is defensive driving. And these little trucks are almost 6k lbs and I beleive a F250 is only mid 7's and if you go back to like an early 2000's 3/4 they only weighed mid 6's. So the new half tons of any make are not what they used to be. Im not discounting the use of a diesel or you using them. But there is not a huge difference in 1/2tons to 3/4tons these days if you go by the numbers.

Last edited by soldier4402; 02-23-2012 at 09:13 AM.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:28 AM
Registered

+1 on the trailer brakes, won't matter if you have an F150 or F350 if you need to stop in a hurry and the trailer brakes are faulty you are in trouble. A half ton is MORE THEN enough truck for a 27 or 29. End of story. If you have a new half ton, and bought another, bigger truck to tow a 29, well thats plain stupid IMO. I prefer to waste money on other toys or fuel for the boat
Old 02-24-2012, 11:55 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Sorry guys, re-reading my post and I sounded like a dick. Wasn't intentional.

I do still stand by what I said though. Regardless of rated towing capacity, in my opinion there is a huge difference when behind the wheel between a 3/4 ton diesel and a half ton truck towing a twin engine 29.

If I have to avoid a mess happening around me, no question which one I'd sooner be pulling with.

Breakitout, the new half ton I bought for my old lady and my kid's car seat - not my daily, her's