Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
35 or 38 or 42 >

35 or 38 or 42

Notices

35 or 38 or 42

Old 06-08-2012, 09:44 AM
Registered

Received 445 Likes on 217 Posts

I boat on local lakes with an occasional trip to coastal waters. Poker runs in surrounding states.
In regards to the 42, and to quote Ferris Beuller, "if you have the means, then I highly recommend picking one up....it is so choice". The 42 is an unbelievable rig and is perfect for the offshore circuit. On inland lakes you will need a lot of runway to keep you interested in something that big.

The 38 will give you that extra length on rough seas and not ridiculously out of place on the lake.

The 35 is a drivers boat (how much HP can you handle and not the boat). Makes offshore running a blast as long as things don't get too rough, but then you just have to learn to fly it. A great lake boat that you "could" ski/tube behind if you wanted. But kind of silly looking if you ask me. (get a ski-boat for that duty).

Best thing to do......drive them ALL. Each one will have its own charm and you can decide which one fits your needs. The 42 is the offshore king, the 38 is the Swiss Army knife of Fountain's, and the 35 is the sports car of the bunch.

Wether offshore or on the lakes you will have a giant grin on your face.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:20 AM
Charter Member # 545
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have owned 2 38's and a 35. If you are on a lake, I would say 35, easy to trailer would handle everything most lakes would throw at it. When you throw in offshore and poker runs, I say at least 38. The 38 would do everything a 35 would do only better. For only 3 feet longer than the 35 it just feels bigger than that. Rides better, handles, and burns about the same amount of fuel with the same motors. The cockpit on the newer 35/38 are about identical in size. The difference in length is in the cabin, and motor cover. Most 35's are on a tandem trailer, most 38's are on triple axle trailers. The 42 is the ultimate wave crusher, rides great, still handles like its on rails. 42 cockpit is deeper and their is more room between the front bolsters and back seat than the 38, the cabin is also bigger. I have run my 38/700 boat with alot of 42's and I got to say in really rough water, the 42's would run away from me.
Dont know if you are a trailer boater, launch and recover everytime out, or you have a lift. The 42 takes a bit of water to get it off the trailer because of its length. Dont know how your ramps are where you boat.
The question is how much boat do you need? It used to be you can never have too much boat.....but in these times it makes since to match you boat to your needs.
Good luck with your search.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:14 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I do not own anyone of the three but shopped them all. Weight:11,400 = 42, 9800 = 38, and 9500 = 35
Aluminum trailers range from 2800 to about 2400 for the three boats.
Interior room on the 38' was pretty sweet (I'm 5'9"). The 42 had even more room and a hanging locker.
Dealer recommended (surprise) the 42 as having a big difference in ride when the going gets rough. IMO you would need a 1-ton dually to legally pull a 42' fueled up and full of gear. I've priced out the trucks new and they are all (whatever brand you prefer) close to 60k. I would recommend the biggest you can afford. Even a 42 with standard "black motors" should hit 75.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a 2000 42 and love it i pull it with a f 350 single wheel on a aluminum tri trailer i am shopping for a new trailer right now as we speak but it pulls ok behind the sw ford 1 ton the way it is and its a bad ass boat so i say 42 all the way
Old 06-08-2012, 07:43 PM
Registered

Received 86 Likes on 39 Posts

We went from a 28' Checkmate to a 42 Fountain....and will never go back. Although trailing is a tad more cumbersome I don't believe it could be put into the "con" category.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:23 PM
Registered

You have all given me great advice and opinions. I just got back from Lake Murray poker run and I was running with a 29 Fountain and notice that I was doing a whole lot more bouncing around than he was at 60-70. I will ride in all 3 and hopefully one will pick me!!LOL.

I want to be able to run poker runs anywhere. It is going to be a good, fun process in finding my next boat. Keep the advice coming. Thanks
Old 06-09-2012, 11:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 682gold
You have all given me great advice and opinions. I just got back from Lake Murray poker run and I was running with a 29 Fountain and notice that I was doing a whole lot more bouncing around than he was at 60-70. I will ride in all 3 and hopefully one will pick me!!LOL.

I want to be able to run poker runs anywhere. It is going to be a good, fun process in finding my next boat. Keep the advice coming. Thanks
well its a 42 all the way then