Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
Staggered vs side by side >

Staggered vs side by side

Notices

Staggered vs side by side

Old 06-21-2012, 03:05 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

doesnt staggered kill a lot of your cockpit space or cabin space?
Old 06-21-2012, 04:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
So would a 38 semi staggard be a good compromise?
Yes...I have a good buddy who has an 06 with stock 525's. Runs 87-90 all day. Very nice boat. Im not sure how much it saves on cockpit space. Im going to be riding with him this weekend..since my boat is still being worked on (as usual). I'll try to make an observation as to the difference in cockpit size.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by soldier4402
Not really an issue with me. Again, speed over space any day....IMO. Besides, I dont have that many friends...
Old 06-21-2012, 04:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TRL505
Not really an issue with me. Again, speed over space any day....IMO. Besides, I dont have that many friends...
Wonder why
Old 06-21-2012, 05:12 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Full staggered provides many advantages in performance- speed, handling, balance, etc.. Ease of service is soooo much greater.

Speed vs. side by side is about 10 mph faster with same hp.

Rough water handling there is no comparison, full staggered boats have the ability to kill side by sides ( of almost any brand ) due to the better weight distribution.

Don't expect better planing with staggered boats, as most are set with high drive heights to get the big speed numbers.

Sure, cockpit space is limited but stand-up rear bolster options open that space up and keep passengers safer at speed. The sunpads on the staggered boats are huge, that is where most rafting time is spent anyway.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:55 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They make a cool rooster tail
Old 06-21-2012, 07:41 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I read in Power Boat magazine the staggered advantage is more noticable in bigger boats - 40+ feet. But can't argue with an extra 10 mph in the 35 Lightning. btw I'm a wannabe 35 Lightning owner - still looking for the right deal and can't decide if I should spend more for the 2007+ model.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:03 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by soldier4402

Definetly has a negative effect on it. Just remember that the one that pays for the boat spends little, if any, time in the back seat. Those that occupy the space are along for the free ride, if not happy, they could just stay on the dock. Knew a guy that was big into the beach friendly aspects of a big cockpit, buy a tooner. Just my take on it. Having spent last saturday on Kelly O's staggered boat doing the TI Poker Run, the space is more than offset by the many advantages!
Old 06-21-2012, 08:08 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RaggedEdge
Definetly has a negative effect on it. Just remember that the one that pays for the boat spends little, if any, time in the back seat. Those that occupy the space are along for the free ride, if not happy, they could just stay on the dock. Knew a guy that was big into the beach friendly aspects of a big cockpit, buy a tooner. Just my take on it. Having spent last saturday on Kelly O's staggered boat doing the TI Poker Run, the space is more than offset by the many advantages!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tpIjCil9kc

Here is some video of Kellys boat, at 8:40 and again at 9:10. That should settle the staggered vs side by side debate.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:48 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can get a sweet side by side for about a hundred grand. Take for instance the 2000 in the classifieds w # 6's. Just needs a shrt winsheild. I bet that thing will smoke every staggered boat in this thread.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.