what would you do?

Notices

what would you do?

Old 09-03-2012, 08:37 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what would you do?

i had two alum headed tall deck 540s built, when i started these back in march, they said 700hp would be do able now its aug and they dynoed barely at 620hp, 650tq im putting these back in a 98 42 fountain big step side by side. i know i was wanting 700plus hp, and the bill was thru the roof, i could see paying for it if it was what we agreed on but 620hp come on, these are bowtie talldecks, 10.2-1 comp, big brodix alum heads, 1150dom carb, theres a screw up somewhere maybe the cam? i dont know i just feel that if they made what i asked for and they said 700 would be easy with the parts i had , that i would be more than happy to pick them up, but in this case i think they should check in to the engines and see where the problem is and correct it, i looked at teagues site and the cam looks like there stage 2, good for 496-502-540 but the stage3 says 540 with good heads and mods which thats what i got. not trying to start a storm but hell if you say they will make 700plus and there at 620 then we have a issue, i also talked to and let bob mandera, and eddie young both look at the dyno sheet and both said theres a problem somewhere. with all this my summer was ruined, my boat has been down all summer, when they were supposed to be done in may( yep it was august) but im not mad about that im pissed cause i wanted 700plus hp and they made 620 and it was all blamed on my heads.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:24 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

heres the cam card
Attached Thumbnails what would you do?-cam-card.jpg  
Old 09-03-2012, 11:26 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What size are the heads? (cc)
Old 09-04-2012, 01:25 AM
Registered

You need to talk to Chris about your cam.

Chris Straub
www.straubtechnologies.com
Old 09-04-2012, 06:58 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I would have a BIG problem with that. Not only because you were promised a certain level of performance that was not achieved, but because if there IS a problem that is keeping the power down, it could end up hurting the motors. When I had my 540s built, I gave the builder (Dave Wesseldyk in Michigan) my old 502 EFIs and said I wanted them to be reliable 500 horse motors. He basically replaced EVERYTHING but the block and heads, and told me that if he did even a mild head, they would make WAY more than the 570 they dynoed out at. You are only 50 hp more than me, and I've got stock iron heads. This season is over, like you said...I would make SURE its right for next year.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:50 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

yes thats kinda what im saying why pay 14k for something the builder is happy with and im not.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:58 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Honestly, I dont think you are that far off. Couple questions

Were the engines dynoed with all accessories? Exhaust manifolds or headers?? What kind of torque were you making? can you post the dyno sheet??

With the 114LSA cam, unless you have dry exhaust, is probably your best bet from a reversion standpoint. However, if you run dry exhaust, you probably could have squeezed more power out of a different profile. I think to get 700HP out of a N/A 540, your gonna need more cam. Im just guessing here, but your HP maybe peaked under or around 5500RPM? More cam, more RPM, like say 6000, would probably get you closer to your number. 700HP from a N/A carbed 540, can be alot to ask, and it will be a Hot motor, big cam, high rpm, borderline pump gas compression, ported heads, etc.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:50 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The heads were purchased from a oso member said they were on a 580ci engine with pro mod porting, so i really think they flow pretty well, the cam seems alittle small but its hard to figure it out, the dyno sheet is showing 0.650 to 0.742 bsfc thats twice as much fuel as it really needs ive sent the dyno sheets to eddie young, and bob mandera and both said the same thing.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:56 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Mild thunder these heads were purchased from mike tkach on here and they were just built here by a professional shop
Old 09-04-2012, 12:11 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Wow , that is a lot of fuel . Who dynoed these???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.