Need more air in engine compartment 42 lightning >

Need more air in engine compartment 42 lightning

Notices

Need more air in engine compartment 42 lightning

Old 01-29-2013, 10:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need more air in engine compartment 42 lightning

Hey guys, I am trying very hard to avoid scoops. I need alot more air in my engine compartment and I dont want to ruin the hatches by cutting them up. If anybody has done mods without scoops, if you can send some pics, it would be greatly appreciated. I have a pair of 1200's + going in and last year when I raised the hatches at 4000 RPM, the AFR meter rose by .5 to .75 which is alot at that RPM so just imagine how much more it would raise at 6000 RPM.. Thats quite a bit... Any other ideas would be great too!

1996 42 lightning
Joe
Old 01-30-2013, 06:11 AM
Registered

I'll get some pics this weekend. I'm building new hatches now. My third set, first ones were flat, seconds one scoops now ......you'll see
Old 01-30-2013, 11:40 AM
Registered

I removed the back off each of the six vents in the bilge.
Also the triangular vents on each side only had one 5" hole and I added a few more
2" ones. I would think your reading differed with adding more cool air to the bilge.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Face It
I'll get some pics this weekend. I'm building new hatches now. My third set, first ones were flat, seconds one scoops now ......you'll see
Please send the pics, I would like to see them
Old 01-30-2013, 08:05 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Back4More
I removed the back off each of the six vents in the bilge.
Also the triangular vents on each side only had one 5" hole and I added a few more
2" ones. I would think your reading differed with adding more cool air to the bilge.
Well exactly, we were adding more cool air to the engines. We did the test repeatedly and it was the same result all 3 times at 4200 RPM's. Plus it responds on the AFR meter in seconds each and every time. That meter was the best investment I could have ever made!
Old 01-31-2013, 07:33 PM
Registered

I made some better flowing side vents, you can also duct your speaker holes under back seat directly into engine compartment
Attached Thumbnails Need more air in engine compartment 42 lightning-dsc00254.jpg  
Old 01-31-2013, 07:51 PM
Gold Member

Originally Posted by tnt1
I made some better flowing side vents, you can also duct your speaker holes under back seat directly into engine compartment
Nice vents....got anymore pics?
Old 01-31-2013, 08:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TunnelVision3100
Well exactly, we were adding more cool air to the engines. We did the test repeatedly and it was the same result all 3 times at 4200 RPM's. Plus it responds on the AFR meter in seconds each and every time. That meter was the best investment I could have ever made!
Also remember that you need to get the air out of the engine compartment too. Add good clean air but vent out equally. Great example to see is the stern of Outerlimits GTX......good luck.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:42 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Install a vacuum gage hose next to the engine intake and run out the hatch so you can read it.
Close the hatch and go for a ride.
Is there a vacuum in the engine compartment?
If so then opening up the inlets will help...
But it also could open them up too much and pressurize the engine compartment and force engine room exhaust gasses, (carbon monoxide gas) into the cabin.
The cabin is not perfectly sealed like a car or aircraft where the gasses cant make it back into the cabin.
Be very careful changing intake without increasing the exhaust side of engine compartment air/gasses

Last edited by OPIE272; 01-31-2013 at 08:42 PM. Reason: correct spelling
Old 02-01-2013, 12:36 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by OPIE272
Install a vacuum gage hose next to the engine intake and run out the hatch so you can read it.
Close the hatch and go for a ride.
Is there a vacuum in the engine compartment?
If so then opening up the inlets will help...
But it also could open them up too much and pressurize the engine compartment and force engine room exhaust gasses, (carbon monoxide gas) into the cabin.
The cabin is not perfectly sealed like a car or aircraft where the gasses cant make it back into the cabin.
Be very careful changing intake without increasing the exhaust side of engine compartment air/gasses
I had that problem on my old boat with forward facing scoops. Cabin would smell like fuel/bilge after a run.

I like the idea of adding ports/vents on the back of the transom, like these To help exit some air.
Attached Thumbnails Need more air in engine compartment 42 lightning-46895_1.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.