Bravo drive coolers

Notices

Bravo drive coolers

Old 04-14-2013, 06:24 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bravo drive coolers

Hi guys,

I am looking to maximize the life of a set of Bravo XRs on a 2006 42 Lightning with 2 x 600 SCIs...

From my understanding, the XR gears are bigger and forged, but with no hardening surface like the std Bravo gears. The boat has 300 houres now, and run its 3rd set of drives. Previously the boat had no drive showers, but I added that the summer of 2010, and it still runs these drives, but has not been used too much.

Have anyone here tried Gffrig/Livorsi drive temp gauges? What do they typically show with and without a shower?

I have also heard that there are some kind of outside drive oil coolers that really make the oil temp low. What are these like and are they efficient? Where can I get them?

We are planning to use the boat for endurance ocean races and extremely rough waters. (I know it is a bad idea, but we have the boat here, and it is too expencive to run on a daily basis, so if it would work as a "rce boat", that would be fun. The boat is beyond good when going fast in rough waters. I just want it to last....

Has anyone any experience with a 42/600 SCI package performance wise? It runs only 87-89 mph... It has std. black lower units, and no shorties.

Thanks for all input!!

Erik

Last edited by Yamaha 225; 04-14-2013 at 06:28 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drew marine makes a product to keeps drive cool. drewmarine.com
Old 04-15-2013, 03:45 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This looks like a good solution. From what I can see, it looks like the oil can be better cooled if the return hos would enter the drive at a lower position. Anyone with any experiences with the drewmarine system? Is the pump noisy?

Thanks
Old 04-15-2013, 05:00 PM
Registered

I had max machine worx build me a cooler for my xr. It works great. You can search for it on riverdavesplace.com.

I think the drew product would work for you.
The pump on mine is noisy. You don't notice it except at idle. I have a manual switch to turn off the system. I have noticed that the oil does not turn black anymore.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:10 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

That is a cool set up.

http://www.drewmarine.com/products/c...coolswirl.html
Old 04-15-2013, 06:11 PM
Registered

http://www.danamarineproducts.com/Gr...5-c30dbc9297c0

This is the drive shower that I have. I have no idea where the temps should even be in the drive.