Notices

29 Fever

Old 05-02-2013, 08:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oksunny
With a twin if one engine dies you can always get home! Something else to think about
That did come in handy with the 292 one time. IAC went bad while out floating on the lake. Otherwise, I must have been really lucky .... had a couple of "almost stranded" incidences, but never actually got stranded due to engine problems in any of my other boats over the past 20 years. Did have a Seadoo GTX let me sit one time, though, battery quit, but it "questionable" when we backed it off the trailer.

Last edited by bob_t; 05-02-2013 at 08:54 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:49 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah thats one thing to think about with high performance, it doesnt matter how much of a maint man you are in high performance the probability of a break down is higher than say your standard four winns boat. You can always get a tow from a fellow boater, but if you cant to get sea tow to come out means your spending hundreds if not thousands to get that boat back to the dock. In a single application on a 29 to get the same speed as BBC or even 6.2s your probably going to need a 525 or larger. Pros to the one engines is less maint, but when you have to do maint to get parts and labor done on of those is going to be more costly than BBC, which parts are much easier to find and are cheaper. One of those big blue motors is not going to be that much better on fuel economy then two BBCs, maybe a little. Its whatever you want and think you need, but for my use and my math its worth it to spend the extra 60-100 bucks every year on oil and filters for the extra engine and to have the reliability.