Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
My new boat showed up Yesterday!! >

My new boat showed up Yesterday!!

Notices

My new boat showed up Yesterday!!

Old 05-15-2013, 07:05 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My new boat showed up Yesterday!!

So I sold my 27' Fever and purchased a 1997 35' Fountain Fever with a single step. It has twin 496 H.O. motors and Bravo drives.

I purchased it sight unseen from a guy in Louisiana and just had it shipped up here to me in Rochester NY.

Everything looks good except I went down into the cuddy and noticed that the floor seems a little soft and spongy..? The guy I purchased the boat from replaced the strip of carpet down the center of the cabin area at one time..? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:15 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by FIVEPTOHH
So I sold my 27' Fever and purchased a 1997 35' Fountain Fever with a single step. It has twin 496 H.O. motors and Bravo drives.

I purchased it sight unseen from a guy in Louisiana and just had it shipped up here to me in Rochester NY.

Everything looks good except I went down into the cuddy and noticed that the floor seems a little soft and spongy..? The guy I purchased the boat from replaced the strip of carpet down the center of the cabin area at one time..? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
My friends nephew bought your old boat, he tested it last week and loves it btw.

Oh, the dreaded cabin water in a fountain. He most likely replaced the carpet because standing water washed the color out. It is a very common thing for the larger fountains, there is a big thread on here about the water but no definitive direction on how to keep it out.

I can't stop mine from getting water. I installed a new bilge pump lower than the stock, and added a manual switch to the pump along with the auto that came stock. I check mine constantly. I don't get a ton of water, mine seems to come from washing the cockpit floor, cooler, and getting caught in the rain without the cover.

Replacing that wood, that wouldn't be fun. I would have to assume it is rotted, mine is as hard as concrete.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:26 PM
Registered

I replaced mine in my 29. Not that hard of a job but get ready for a headache. I had fans going in every direction but still!! I was able to leave the outer 1 inch for a ledge to rest the new wood. Glassed bottom and sides of the wood, should be good for many years.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 4bus
My friends nephew bought your old boat, he tested it last week and loves it btw.

Oh, the dreaded cabin water in a fountain. He most likely replaced the carpet because standing water washed the color out. It is a very common thing for the larger fountains, there is a big thread on here about the water but no definitive direction on how to keep it out.

I can't stop mine from getting water. I installed a new bilge pump lower than the stock, and added a manual switch to the pump along with the auto that came stock. I check mine constantly. I don't get a ton of water, mine seems to come from washing the cockpit floor, cooler, and getting caught in the rain without the cover.

Replacing that wood, that wouldn't be fun. I would have to assume it is rotted, mine is as hard as concrete.
Glad to hear that he likes my old "baby"! I really didnt want to sell it to be honest but I am glad that he got it. He seems like a good kid and I am sure he will take good care of it.

As far as the water problem goes I guess I was not aware of such a issue. I opened the hatch where the step is that goes down into the cabin and it was wet in there.? I checked the survey that was done on it that the guy got that I purchased it from and it came back fine. I also had a survey done on it and there was no mention of the cabin floor being rotted.? I have no idea if it is just different than my 27 was or if there is a underlying problem.?
Old 05-16-2013, 01:55 AM
Registered

I would reseal the bow light and the big thing reseal the bow rails. The rails are probably the biggest thing to leak that most have found. I just did all mine last year and used 4200. The anchor locker is another but I do not think that the 35 has one.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:13 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i bought a fountain sight unseen 3 years ago. Had an "inspection" and everything, while I was in Afghanistan. Well needless to say water was getting in the cabin and did rot the wood, well 5 grand later and replacing half of the wood in the cabin on the floor the boat is great. Not to worry you, but learned my lesson on buying boats unseen 3 years ago.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:22 AM
Registered

You better Check all the way to the bow, I bet she's soaked all the way up. Seems a lot of the 90's Fountains are showing up with this issue.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:40 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Get ready to rip the entire cabin out.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by dewayne6243
Get ready to rip the entire cabin out.
Maybe forward bulkheads, too.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:33 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

That sucks. I've read about this on many of the bigger fountains, but never read of a fix or where it comes from.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.