IMCO -2's... small step 38' experience >

IMCO -2's... small step 38' experience

Notices

IMCO -2's... small step 38' experience

Old 06-16-2013, 11:18 AM
Registered

Received 48 Likes on 14 Posts
Default IMCO -2's... small step 38' experience

I've been turning 30 Bravos (overpropped) on stock length Bravos about 4900 for the last season. It cruised awesome but I know it was propped a little high. Just put a set of Imco -2s on, same props. I can now turn them 5150-5200 or so without trimming as much... I'm sure from the increased slip. Boat feels like a different boat completely, runs flatter, rides better, seems far better mannered, however I didn't gain a thing on top. Any input? Is it worth trying a 5 blade? Anyone had this combo?
Old 06-16-2013, 12:06 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jpzaluski
I've been turning 30 Bravos (overpropped) on stock length Bravos about 4900 for the last season. It cruised awesome but I know it was propped a little high. Just put a set of Imco -2s on, same props. I can now turn them 5150-5200 or so without trimming as much... I'm sure from the increased slip. Boat feels like a different boat completely, runs flatter, rides better, seems far better mannered, however I didn't gain a thing on top. Any input? Is it worth trying a 5 blade? Anyone had this combo?
Been exactly there with 5 blade hydros. I don't know if you are high enough for maximus. I know if you put Herings on you would go faster. Where is your propshafts as far as compared to the bottom of the boat? I spent all winter and last season working on this. Can you make me a set of trailer guildes for the rear of my trailer. Hard to get it loaded on the middle.
Old 06-16-2013, 12:09 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like this

[ATTACH=CONFIG]502647[/ATTACH]
Old 06-17-2013, 02:55 PM
Registered

I can't get your attachment to open... you can email me at Jpzaluski at aol.com . I have a set of 30 Maximus and a set of 29 Hydro P5s I could try. Do you think either are worth a shot?
Old 06-21-2013, 02:50 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I got -2s on my 38 small step running 30p5xs props work great and the cruise is better that a 32b1
propshafts are approx. 4in from the bottom of the boat
Old 06-23-2013, 05:55 AM
Registered

I tried some Hydro P5s 29 pitch this weekend with less than favorable results. It feels like I'm dragging an anchor lol. My cruise dropped over 8 Mph and while I can turn them 5150 I lost top end. The most insane thing however... I took a trip where I usually burn $250 of fuel round trip and am $400 in and need fuel before going back. Never imagined props could be this inefficient
Old 06-23-2013, 12:45 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That's crazy my 98 38 fever loves Them. cruises like 6 mph faster and even the top is up a mile an hour or so. Just ran it pretty hard and saw 84.6
Old 06-23-2013, 05:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jpzaluski
I tried some Hydro P5s 29 pitch this weekend with less than favorable results. It feels like I'm dragging an anchor lol. My cruise dropped over 8 Mph and while I can turn them 5150 I lost top end. The most insane thing however... I took a trip where I usually burn $250 of fuel round trip and am $400 in and need fuel before going back. Never imagined props could be this inefficient
Originally Posted by prostockcat
I got -2s on my 38 small step running 30p5xs props work great and the cruise is better that a 32b1
propshafts are approx. 4in from the bottom of the boat
Big difference between P5X and P5.
Jpzaluski,
Were your's P5's or P5X? Not surpised that P5's had that much slip. When the X goes up (effectively what you did with the -2's) the hydro cleaver style props don't seem to work too good, in my experience. On one boat we had, the X was such that we could not even get the boat on plane with the QIV intimidator props ... as soon as the bow would break over (getting on plane) they would blow out and the boat would just squat in place. Another friend had the same issues trying them on his high X boat, too.. We tried a variety of trim/tab settings, throttle jockeying, and never had much success. Swapped them back to round ear props because that is all that seemed to have/hold enough bite.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:36 PM
Registered

They Hydro's I tried were the round ear variety... I may be confused but I was fairly sure they were the P5s... I think the cleaver style is the X. I actually had a nearby buddy bring me a set of 32 Bravos to get my back home it was so bad. I could barely get the boat on plane with them. Took me 10 trys before it barely barely would lay over and go. My original 30 Bravos are BY FAR the best choice yet. I don't know if my logic is right but I'm wondering if my fuel efficiency change is coming from in some part, the shorties. The boat seems to like to cruise a bit faster to "feel" efficient. Where I used to run 3200 or so cruise, it now feels like this is the edge of falling off plane and really lugging the motors. Any input appreciated... I have no problem with burning more fuel, but when it DOUBLES consumption, something is wrong. The Hydro P5s cruised 44MPH @ 3500 RPM, while the 32 Bravo's cruised 45MPH @ 3200 RPM. Explain that? Also I am NOT running cavitation plates yet...
Old 06-23-2013, 08:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hydro's website shows the "X" props as round ears, which is consistent with the QIV "X" series props - they were more of a "round ear", but not as rounded as the B1's. When you say you could not get on plane .... did it just blow out the props and squat as the bow came over? That is what we experienced when trying the QIV's. Our boats were 35 twin steps though, not 38's, but it sounds like similar results. On mine, the labbed Bravo 1 props were the best and my friend ended up with Herring 5 (or maybe 6) blade props ... don't remember exactly anymore,. Did you have both sets of props trimmed to the same number? Different trim settings can change the amount of slip a lot, but, the two different props may just need different trim setting since they are lifting the boat differently.

Last edited by bob_t; 06-23-2013 at 09:13 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.