Deck rail ding repair ?

Notices

Deck rail ding repair ?

Old 06-18-2013, 09:18 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Deck rail ding repair ?

My slip neighbor clipped my deck rail with his anchor while pulling in during a thunderstorm yesterday. It was pretty bad weather and he felt terrible about it. It's a small nick but you can see a VERY slight bend in the rail now where the impact was. Is there anyway to repair this without replacing the entire rail? And if I did replace the entire rail, how would they do it without taking the entire cabin apart?
Old 06-18-2013, 09:26 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,255 Likes on 548 Posts

Is the rail compressed down toward the deck? Or is the actual circumference of the rail pushed into itself?
Old 06-18-2013, 09:59 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Is the rail compressed down toward the deck? Or is the actual circumference of the rail pushed into itself?
Both.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:08 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,255 Likes on 548 Posts

A slide hammer with a fixed loop around the rail, or perhaps an airbag under it might have moved the rail back into place; all depending on how strong (large) the backing plates are; all of which is something I'd be very hesitant to "test".

But since you have damage of both as described above, I don't see an easy fix in your future. Anything like spot welding to it and trying to pull the dent out or similar has way too many risks.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:44 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
A slide hammer with a fixed loop around the rail, or perhaps an airbag under it might have moved the rail back into place; all depending on how strong (large) the backing plates are; all of which is something I'd be very hesitant to "test".

But since you have damage of both as described above, I don't see an easy fix in your future. Anything like spot welding to it and trying to pull the dent out or similar has way too many risks.
Thanks, Sydways, I didn't think so either. How would I replace the whole rail ? Is that even possible without stripping the inside of the cabin?
Old 06-18-2013, 11:02 AM
Registered

Received 747 Likes on 338 Posts

My rail got tweaked in a dumb docking incident. We tried many different ways including jacks, come alongs , rubber mallets to straighten it with no success, that stainless railing is very tough. Probably need to remove it to fix/rebend to original shape.
ed
Old 06-18-2013, 12:23 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Interceptor
Probably need to remove it to fix/rebend to original shape.
ed
Yep, that was pretty much what I thought, just figured I'd try in case someone had a brilliant idea. Adding this to the "off-season" list.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:12 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by HyFive578
Yep, that was pretty much what I thought, just figured I'd try in case someone had a brilliant idea. Adding this to the "off-season" list.
Spoke to Fountain. Can order the rail for about $800 and the head liner needs to come down on the sides. Definitely a end-of-season project.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:04 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HyFive578
Spoke to Fountain. Can order the rail for about $800 and the head liner needs to come down on the sides. Definitely a end-of-season project.
my 91 might be different but all i had to was reach up and unbolt the ralling from the side. There were like side peices that held the lights unscrewed and everything was right there. not a fun job, but no head liner had to come off. might be different for a newer one.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:05 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 12 Posts

My bow rails are getting ready to come off my boat, if you'd be interested. They need to be repowdercoated to be perfect, but mechanically they are straight and true.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.