35 lightning water intrusion >

35 lightning water intrusion

Notices

35 lightning water intrusion

Old 06-24-2013, 03:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 35 lightning water intrusion

Comparing the different fountain hulls how much concern for water intrusion is there? I know the 32 and smaller fevers sit very low in the back. Boat Im looking into is a classic single step 35 lighting HP500's. One is a 1997 and the other is a 2000. Has anyone running a 35 single step had issues with water intrusion?
Old 06-24-2013, 03:22 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

fountains are terrible for water. My 29 has twins and sits low, and when I come off of plane the water always comes in, at the end of the day i usually have 2-3 gallons of water in the bottom.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by soldier4402
fountains are terrible for water. My 29 has twins and sits low, and when I come off of plane the water always comes in, at the end of the day i usually have 2-3 gallons of water in the bottom.
How is water coming into your bilge?

Im more concerned about water into engines via exhaust. This can be reduced by slowly coming off plane and turning to reduce the wake into the rear of the boat. But when rafting and swimming are the 35's sitting ducks for the wakes and waves to ruin a motor.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:19 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

35's sit a lot higher out of the water than the smaller fountains & the swimdeck is just a different mold
Old 06-24-2013, 07:28 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i don't know where it comes it, I almost think at times it slips in where the hatch meets the hull in the back. If the exhaust is a standard wet exhaust water coming it shouldn't be a huge problem as it should just get spit back out
Old 06-25-2013, 12:57 PM
Registered

35 owners need your thoughts. Should I be concerned at all?
Old 06-25-2013, 01:39 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I get a little water in my 35 bilge, but not much. It comes in when coming off plane. I have never had a problem when rafting out.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:23 AM
Registered

I have some water come in when coming off plane but with slowing gradually using drives and tabs it really reduces the wash over of the stern. But most of the water comes in when offloading and loading the boat on the trailer when on a steep ramp. So I first used the ole red solo cup stuck up in the vent holes since than I have made some plugs with small ropes similar to fenders. Works great!
Old 06-26-2013, 08:59 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 277 Likes on 112 Posts

Nope no problems here!
Old 06-26-2013, 09:34 PM
Registered

Unless somebody sprays a hose up the exhaust you shouldn't have any problems from the pipes dipping in and out of the water. There is an air pocket that forms basically keeps a bubble in there, keeps too much water from getting in there. You may see a little water run out after it dips, but that's it, it won't make it back up and down into the motor, unless you dip waaaay into the water.

I used to be so paranoid about it, I would shove towels in my pipes at the beach. One night after fireworks, I watched my pipes dip about 6 inches underwater several times while waiting to get pulled out at the rack storage (river used to turn into a free for all, a couple hundred boats all running back upriver). Figured I would have water in the cylinders for sure. Pulled the plugs the next day to check, no problem. After that I quit worrying about it.

Add external flappers to go with your internal flappers if you are that worried about it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.