Looking for advice on Fountain 27' or 29' >

Looking for advice on Fountain 27' or 29'

Notices

Looking for advice on Fountain 27' or 29'

Old 09-30-2013, 10:45 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by I.C.U.Lookin
Give Greg or Scott a call, Having the survey done on my 35 Tuesday.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:01 AM
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LKNCOBALT
Does the 27' not have the same style step hull as the 29' in the 03-06 boats? It seems like those who have a 27' are happy with them, but the 29' is preferred over the two. Im assuming either one will be a nice riding weekend warrior lake boat. I guess it comes down to finding a clean one on the $$$. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the prices have seemed to hit somewhat of a depreciated bottom given year and hours/options on these boats in the past year or two?
Both great boats and either one will be light years better then the cobalt you currently have. In this market where its still a buyers game why go 27 if you can go 29 for similar price? Not knocking the 27 at all but they de build a 29 for a reason because its slightly larger. Touch more running service, cockpit room ext.... both of them are have smaller cabins but as I said before everything including cabin will be better then the smaller cobalt.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:55 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sonickevin95, I may have missed this, what model/size fountain do you own and how does it handle the bay? I was looking at 29' fountains before I decided on purchasing a velocity 290SC, because of the enclosed head. The velocity 290 is basically a 26.5' boat with a 2' swim platform..

Originally Posted by sonickevin95
Both great boats and either one will be light years better then the cobalt you currently have. In this market where its still a buyers game why go 27 if you can go 29 for similar price? Not knocking the 27 at all but they de build a 29 for a reason because its slightly larger. Touch more running service, cockpit room ext.... both of them are have smaller cabins but as I said before everything including cabin will be better then the smaller cobalt.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:40 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 91 29 FeverII with twin 454's, 70mph boat, probably 73-74mph with different props. Great boat with trailer, total hours on boat 400, engines rebuilt once already have receipts, carbs rebuilt last year, props retuned this year. Getting ready to winterize it in the next couple of weeks. Hassle free sale and you come get it $22k.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:00 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by sonickevin95
My experience is the 29 is normally much more expensive and maybe rightfully so because they r faster, bigger, same power ...... The people that have them know that and ask a premium.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:35 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A 29 is about 25K more on average. I would buy the best condition lowest hour 27 or 29 you can find. I agree with keeping the motor stock. For 9 years my 496 has started with every turn of the key. Fountains are great boats but I would buy the newest one you can afford.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:48 AM
Registered

I am also new to this part of the boating world. I was looking at a single motor 27ft. Fever (1994) and got a real deal on a 1988 29ft. Spitfire. It has twin 454's and the paperwork from Fountain claims the boat will do 75 mph. The boat has been a real challenge for me since I have the trailer (1989 Eagle Trailer) for the boat. So storage during the summer is no problem. I live in New York State very close to Lake Ontario. The boat has been a challenge from day 1. The boat color is candy apple red but my boat was pink when I boughtit. The boat needed a little TLC and I being retired thaught this was a good project. THe engines are original and have 466 hours on them. The engine comparment was spotless. After nearly 350 hours of rubbing, cleaning, waxing, and restitching old vinyl, the boat is somewhat decent and draws attention. The Spitfire style is exactly what I was looking for. We spent a good deal of the summer working on the boat and finally got it into the water in early September.

The water has been extremely choppy in Lake Ontario so I have not yet gotten to opportunity (nerve) to go WOT. I have a 21ft. outboard (175 Merc) so this boat is really different. Everything is a learning excercise. However, I love the boat and really can't wait until I can sharpen my skills to drive the boat as it should be driven.

NOTE: The dealership from which I bought the boat took me out and had me drive it and then gave me a brief one to two hour training session about the boat and how to handle it.

I found this boat through Boat Trader dot com.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:07 AM
Gold Member

Originally Posted by modvp
sonickevin95, I may have missed this, what model/size fountain do you own and how does it handle the bay? I was looking at 29' fountains before I decided on purchasing a velocity 290SC, because of the enclosed head. The velocity 290 is basically a 26.5' boat with a 2' swim platform..
29 single step, 496 ho 2004. Has exceeded my expectations in every way. Handles the bay much better then the sonic did. As is stated before, nothing bad comming out of my mouth about the 27 just my opinion on the 29 and why I would buy it over the 27.

Last edited by sonickevin95; 10-01-2013 at 09:10 AM.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:31 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I were on a big body of water I would probably do a 35'. You can buy a 35 for nearly the same money as a 29'. On a freshwater lake like Norman or Lanier a 27 or 29 is fine. One thing a 27 holds about 60 gallons of gas and a 29 has about 120 gallons of gas. So you would want to keep stable in 29.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:55 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LKNCOBALT
eddie --

I looked over your website. Looks like you have some awesome boats! I am looking for something a bit newer than a 91. I believe I would like to stay with a single motor, especially since it will live on a lake and be thirsty for +$4.50/gal non ethanol marina gas
I have a customer with a 2002 29 Fountain with 500 EFI with 44 original hours on a trailer that's not listed. If I can help just let me know.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.