Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
Erratic Depth Gauge PROBLEM FOUND! >

Erratic Depth Gauge PROBLEM FOUND!

Notices

Erratic Depth Gauge PROBLEM FOUND!

Old 08-16-2002, 09:46 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Erratic Depth Gauge PROBLEM FOUND!

While installing a marine radio in the boat today I pulled off an interior panel to run some wire and noticed a screw that holds the panel on was screwed into the coax cable that goes to the transducer. I mean you couldnt have drilled through the center of the cable more perfectly if you tried. This would explain why sometimes the gauge doesnt work. At first I thought this punctured wire was just a wire to the small bilge pump in the front. When I went to splice the wire to eliminate the chewed up portion I noticed it was a small coax cable. I traced it and it went to the transducer.

Now, does anyone if you can splice this small coax cable? It looks to be between 1/8" and 3/16" in diameter. If I cant splice the cable I will have to replace the transducer. The cable looks to be potted in the transducer with epoxy.

Ron
Old 08-16-2002, 10:21 PM
envision

I beleive my old Lorance said you can splice the coax cable if you use a foil or other shielding material in the splice.

But my question is; does you depth gage work under 5 feet? Mine does not work. The Gaffrig instruction manual for the Teleflex gage says to call Hummingbird for info.

They don't understand why it works good above 5 feet but not at all below 5.0.

Good Luck!

Old 08-18-2002, 09:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RJ
You can splice coax cable. Go to an electronics store like Radio Shack or even Home Depot, they will have what you need. I would tape the splice with some good tape or a gel filled cover to keep moisture out. If you use vinyl tape remember to stretch it about 1/3 more than it's static length to get a good seal, most people don't do that and get a bad seal.
Old 08-19-2002, 10:10 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Mate,

I have spliced coax before but never any as small as this. The diameter of the cable is less than 3/16". I will go to Radio Shack today and ask them. The last few times I went to the Shack the people there were friendly but totaly useless. These people should be working at convience stores. Maybe I should try some industrial electric supplier.

There is probably a tool to do it with that cost about $80 with my luck.

Ron