Drive trim cable set-up >

Drive trim cable set-up

Notices

Drive trim cable set-up

Old 05-02-2014, 12:43 PM
Registered

Received 310 Likes on 188 Posts
Default Drive trim cable set-up

I removed and re-built the the gimble housings on my 29 fever. While re-installing everything I noticed one of the drive trim indicator cables was bad so I replaced both. Now I need to adjust them.
Is it as simple as leveling bottom of boat, then trimming drives so cavitation plates are level, then adjust the cables so drive trim indicators read "3"?..

Thx!
Old 05-02-2014, 07:53 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Adjusting drive cable indicators

If you look on the spring loaded cylinder you will see a small hole on both sides. To align them run the drives all the way in then check the rod inside the cylinder to see if the hole is aligned. It might be easier to get all the holes lined up with the drive trimmed out and you pushing the black rod in against the spring pressure. You should be able to run an Allen key or a drill bit through them. If you do not see the hole try turning the rod to make sure it has not just turned where you cannot see the hole. To align, loosen the clamps enough for you to be able to stick whatever you are using through the hole. With the drives all the way in now move the cylinder with rod pinned until the rod touches the cup on the drive. Apply just a little pressure where the drill bit will slide back and forth. Now tighten the clamps on the cylinder then pull the drill bit out. Now if the needle is off (on your drive indicator position) you can adjust the rods under the dash with a couple of small wrenches. The rod fits between a nut on each side (I used 10mm open-end wrench), just loosen and move which way you need. Retighten and you are done. Your drive tab should be adjusted to 1 at this point as the drive will be trimmed all the way in.

Hope this helps -

Last edited by Wes Burmark; 05-03-2014 at 12:02 PM.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:26 PM
Registered

Thx Wes! I did notice the holes. I pushed the rods in and inserted cotter pins. Adjusted the the cable ends to get the trim indicators at "1". I don't have the drives or engs installed yet.
Once I get everything together I'll double check the indicators and adjust with the clamps as needed. Thx again for the detailed procedure.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:57 AM
Registered

zz28zz - Glad my directions made sense. I was thinking last night that I should have included a few pictures and taken a little more time with my writing.

Sounds like all you need to do after you install your drives it loosen the clamps on the drive piston and adjust the black rod to contact the stainless ring
on your drive. All will be well. I'm betting that a lot of shops replacing cables do not know how to do the final adjustments correctly.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:39 PM
Registered

I read (and try to follow) very technical maint instructions for a living. Most of the time they have been converted from a foreign language and are very difficult to make any sense out of.

Your description was spot on and quite easy to follow (not to mention virtually fool-proof).

Judging form the complete lack of responses when I posted in the General Q&A, you may be right abt this procedure being not so well known.

Last edited by zz28zz; 05-03-2014 at 05:43 PM.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This helped a bunch thanks. Was feeling the blues, I'll try this out tomorrow.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:40 AM
Registered

Hi, I have to attempt this as well because I have a cable on my Starboard drive sticking a little once it hits position 5 however a little tug on the cylinder from the drive and it pops the dash flag indicator where it needs to be. I also noticed that I have about 1 to 2 inches of thread showing under the on the rod thats covered by the spring at the stern drive. I'm thinking if I tighten that up by screwing it in, it may create increased tension on the spring and fix itself.

I was also thinking of adding a little grease in the cylinder but it doesn't look like grease is used......not sure if its all gone at this point or never used in the first place

Any comments wold be greatly appreciated

Cheers,
Barry