Another "logo light, speaker replacement" thread >

Another "logo light, speaker replacement" thread

Notices

Another "logo light, speaker replacement" thread

Old 06-11-2014, 07:13 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another "logo light, speaker replacement" thread

Hey guys, just like it sounds, I'd like to add a couple speakers where the logo lights are now. I haven't done stereo upgrades since I was in high school and never in a marine application so please bear with me. I'm looking at adding JL 6.5 or 7.7 inch speakers in those locations. I started with removing the plastic logo lights and found that they are not completely bored through. To install the speakers do I need to cut a hole through the wood and fiberglass to allow the speaker to recess into the gunwal? I've done a few searches on here and have found countless threads of pictures of the finished speakers, and some info, but nothing specific on how guys have drilled/bored. If I have to do such, should I go with the 6.5's or the 7.7's? I see where the hole size is kind of in between both speaker sizes, and some people have used a plastic ring as a shim for the smaller 6.5 speakers. I'm also going to change the clarion deck to a kenwood, along with a new hardwired remote. Any suggestions or heads up on how to do that? It looks like there is only one wire attached to the current clarion remote so maybe I can just use the exhisting, or did I miss something?
I'm going to end up installing an amp, and putting it under the back bench, so installing power, and speaker wiring looks pretty straight forward. Thanks in advance for the advice.
Attached Thumbnails Another "logo light, speaker replacement" thread-image.jpg   Another "logo light, speaker replacement" thread-image.jpg   Another "logo light, speaker replacement" thread-image.jpg  

Another "logo light, speaker replacement" thread-image.jpg  
Old 06-11-2014, 08:01 PM
Registered
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been contemplating same thing with regards to the light/speaker switch. Have the amp mounted near driver's foot in front of the little hatch door. Need to install a remote that the wife can fiddle with, but would also like to add one near the transom for when we're at the beach or swimming< just hate to be drilling holes all over since technology keeps changing every year< don't want to be stuck with outdated remotes that i had to drill holes for.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:08 PM
Registered

I came across the same issue on my boat. I added a cover plate of sorts to cover the holes on my boat. Covered with vinyl, mounted the speakers, then mounted the plate right over the original holes. PM your email and I'll send a pic that gives you and idea.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:18 PM
Registered

Pm sent, thanks griswald!!
Old 06-12-2014, 06:51 AM
Registered

I needed to go 8 " to cover the marks left by the logo. Looked factory and no trim ring. Cutting wood and glass in small amounts. Fine line between enough and two much. Still need material left for screws.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:28 AM
Registered

I took down the mirror in the left front cabin, Great access to run wires to the battery & head unit and kept the amp from getting so damp in the back. Hooked it to the cabin light toggle at the helm to shut down the stereo when I need it off in a hurry and put the remote in the main dash near the steering wheel. Worked out great. 4 Jbl's in the cockpit,, stock in the cabin and two woofers under the back seat..
Old 06-12-2014, 09:02 AM
Registered

I just ordered 4 JL 6.5's and a new kenwood deck and hardwire remote to replace originals. Krutchfield said i'll have everything monday so i'll take some pictures as i go. Thanks for help guys
Old 06-12-2014, 09:30 AM
Registered

I have 6 clarion 6.5 speakers in the cockpit and two alpines in the cabin. The cabin runs off the deck the Clarions all run off a Polk 660a and I have a Polk 1200.1 to run my subs I just have to get my boxes made for my subs. I am also contemplating adding two more cockpit speakers and deleting the emblems as well for a total of 8 in the cockpit.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:07 AM
Registered

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

You probably saw one of my threads on our old 27. I used JL 7.7's, as well as LED speaker rings for a couple of reasons.

- I wanted the 7.7's (duh!)
- the gunnel really wasn't deep enough to mount the 7.7's, as they are quite deep
- the black circles that the lights left on the white vinyl would not come off, so I wanted to hide that
- I really didn't want to cut in to fiberglass

Good luck with your project. I also mounted some JL 10's at storage compartments at front seats. I just used the door assemblies as a template and cut out starboard. Used existing mounting screws, and it came out looking really good. Those storage compartments in the front are useless anyway.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:14 AM
Registered

see mine had brand new interior in it so the dark ring is a non issue mine is wether I want to cut the gunnel or not

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.