need advise on 42 footer >

need advise on 42 footer

Notices

need advise on 42 footer

Old 07-29-2015, 07:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need advise on 42 footer

The time has come that we are ready to move up. I want a big step 42. With that being said are there any year model ranges that seem to be poorly built/sealed. I know a survey is in order but are there any years or range of years that seem prone to untimely transom jobs? My current fountain is an 88 29 fever and it is absolutely rock solid. Not even 1 single stress crack it the gel. I hope that the later years carried the same workmanship as my current boat. Any advice would be appreciated.
Scott
Old 07-30-2015, 08:31 AM
Registered

Fountains , leakers , rott go hand in hand , very porous glass work . Dont leave it in the water too long .
Old 07-30-2015, 01:25 PM
Registered

I'm with 575. They did not finish my transom like they did any other part of the boat. I've always been partial to the look of Fountains, but their fit and finish is less than desired compared to others like OL, DW, DCB, Skater, etc. I only name those brands because I've seen them up close. I'm close to OCD and some of the things drive me crazy. It's one thing I hoped they've changed in recent years. I've posted this in other threads, but the drain plug housing was never sealed properly and had it fixed as soon as I got my boat when I would see a little water in the bilge and my boat doesn't stay in the water. Fixed the problem.
Old 07-30-2015, 05:03 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 399 Likes on 147 Posts

I have a customer with a 98 42 big step that we rerigged with 572 ci supercharged dual Dominator Carbs number V speedmasters full staggered custom dash that's he wants to sell hasn't run it in about 5 years we pickled the motors a couple of years ago just needs some TLC and a new cockpit interior. Reggie signature series paint job mostly white with red and black stripe.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:52 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by 575cat
Fountains , leakers , rott go hand in hand , very porous glass work . Dont leave it in the water too long .
I noticed you frequently post the same thing over & over about Fountains... they're not all leakers, owner neglect plays a huge roll, you obviously had a bad beak experience.. care to share? ALL boats with wood cores will deteriorate over time in some fashion if leaks are not dealt with, To the OP do your due diligence & have any used boat inspected by an experienced glass guy , there are lots of solid older boats running around My ..02
Old 07-31-2015, 06:27 PM
Registered

When I cut the reliefs in the vee near the transom for the main 1.5 water pickup and in the strakes for the intercooler pickups I could not believe the cavities in the glass and water come leaking out you could stick finger or so in there not kidding , as I mentioned a couple years back they would make great drug smuggling boats . there is another guy I know with a 01 47 that had mushrooms starting to grow out from between the transom assemblies and the hull , yes sir . for the time I owned my 42 it stayed inside all the time .I noticed the cabin floor getting soft and I was done with it I was not going to go there .
Old 08-02-2015, 07:37 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Between my brother and I, we have had 5 fountains ranging from 1991-2005. No rot on any of them. Clown
Old 08-02-2015, 08:44 PM
Registered

Received 272 Likes on 91 Posts

ya, i just fixed what looked to be a flake in a customers swim platform up in the corner. after grinding out layers on layers and got past the delam i got it fixed. but that boat was a mint early 2000/s boat....
Old 08-02-2015, 08:46 PM
Registered

Received 272 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Team Archer
I have a customer with a 98 42 big step that we rerigged with 572 ci supercharged dual Dominator Carbs number V speedmasters full staggered custom dash that's he wants to sell hasn't run it in about 5 years we pickled the motors a couple of years ago just needs some TLC and a new cockpit interior. Reggie signature series paint job mostly white with red and black stripe.
sounds like my kind of boat... pics? price?
Old 08-02-2015, 10:43 PM
Registered

hey scott my name is john i have a friend that has went through a divorce he has a 2002 42ft big step been sitting about four years if u will call me 601-506-2966 trying too help a friend boat is really nice call me i will tell u about the rest thanks John cheap price

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.