new to me 33 with stainless exhaust and found hole in manifold >

new to me 33 with stainless exhaust and found hole in manifold

Notices

new to me 33 with stainless exhaust and found hole in manifold

Old 01-10-2016, 05:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to me 33 with stainless exhaust and found hole in manifold

Just took off my tail pipes on my stainless marine manifolds and found a hole in my exhaust manifold on top almost looks like it rotted thru but could have been damaged before i bought the boat its about an 1/8 inch round not sure if I should take it to a local welder or send it to stainless marine for repair any advise would be appreciated
Old 01-10-2016, 09:39 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What year model? Same happened to me when I bought my 2005 Fountain 1 year old after only 1 year in New Jersey salt. Well, I only had a pinhole about 2 mm but it sprayed water pretty good while running. Sent it back to Custom Marine Inc. (CMI) who welded and pressure tested it and has been fine since. No more leaks, and none of the three remaining headers has developed a leak. But, I've only run the boat in fresh water since the repair.

Last edited by On Time; 01-10-2016 at 09:42 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-11-2016, 05:36 AM
Registered

they look to be 1st generation stainless marine manifolds I have heard of cmi with leaks and I was wondering if anyone has had trouble with the stainless marine brand?
Old 01-11-2016, 05:50 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Stainless marine are usually very reliable. They use an anodized coating of some sort inside to protect from salt. I'd either send them back to them or just order new. They are also designed basically to fail externally as to not ruin the engine. We all know water doesn't compress. Lol
Old 01-11-2016, 10:23 AM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 9 Posts

Years ago I ran used SM exhaust and I started getting leaks on the tops of the aluminum manifolds. Pulled them and brought them to a welder that stated they were simply too thin to do anything with. He found spots all over where the salt had thinned the walls. The tails are stainless steel and were fine, but I had to buy all new manifolds from SM
Old 01-11-2016, 09:30 PM
Registered

thanks I think you have confirmed what i already know sounds like new is the way to go