38 Lightning Windshield

Notices

38 Lightning Windshield

Old 02-27-2016, 08:35 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 38 Lightning Windshield

In the process of buying a 38 Lightning that has the tall windshield. I understand the top rail needs to be longer when you cut it down lower. Does anyone know who made the windshield in 2006? Taylor or Fountain or ??
Old 03-01-2016, 10:11 AM
Registered

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

That info is on OSO somewhere - I know I've seen it. But the top rail does need to be longer. You can weld in some additional frame to accomplish this.

I'm surprised to hear that a 2006 has the tall windshield. I thought they were all short by then, unless the original purchaser asked for the taller windshield.
Old 03-01-2016, 11:53 AM
Registered

I did this to my 38 last winter. I actually got lucky and purchased a complete second windshield form another 38 for donor parts. They have some complete 42 windshields for sale on ebay (or at least they did) and also on great lakes skipper. You don't need a ton. Depending on how much you cut 18" would be close to enough. I have some pics of the process and what I did if you need a reference or just another thought process. When you get ready for the rail let me know. I have sold some but I think I have a decent amount left. Send me a PM and we can go from there. Oh and I believe it was Taylor.
Old 03-03-2016, 11:43 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

PM Sent. Thanks guys!