Help with Silent Choice >

Help with Silent Choice

Notices

Help with Silent Choice

Old 05-17-2016, 05:18 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Help with Silent Choice

I have a Fountain Fever 29' w/twin 6.2s. The silent choice worked fine until I had some work done on the boat and one of the hoses to a solenoid was accidently pulled off. When I tried to switch to quiet (exhaust rattles the swimstep at idle) I noticed it didn't work. After reconnecting the hose it worked but would revert to open after a minute or so (I did not use a new compression fitting - just re-hooked the hose up). I fired the boat up this year and the solenoids do not seem to respond to the open/close toggle switch at all. I can manually move all of the parts. Has anyone trouble shot this system? Is there a rebuild kit or something. I don't have a clue as to where to start. Thanks in advance. I've always received excellent help here.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:49 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Wes,
With regards to the switching after a minute or so, check the release valve on the air system. Mine, as well as others on this site, found some dirt preventing the valve from completely sealing.

The small nub on the top of the 4 way block is the valve in question.

With regards to the system not working at all - is the pump working? It should be mounted on the bulkhead on the starboard side.

Ryan
Old 05-18-2016, 01:54 PM
Registered

Ryan, first, thank you very much for your response. I located my pump which looks similar to yours pictured. I also located the block (mine is 3-way with the solenoid attached directly to the junction block)) but I am not seeing the valve you feel I should check in the picture of your 4-way block or on my setup. I went up and flipped the switch to the CLOSED position. The pump does work and it activated all 4 exhaust valves which would run the exhaust through the drives. When I click the switch to the OPEN position it did not release. Nothing happened. This leads me to believe you are correct in your suggestion that I have a sticking valve...if only I can find it. Question? Do the valves close without the engine(s) running?

I am having trouble posting the image of my setup. If you have time to email me at [email protected] I will send it to you.

Again, thanks Ryan.

Hmm...are you referring to what looks like a fitting screwed into your 4-way block at the top of the picture?

Last edited by Wes Burmark; 05-18-2016 at 03:04 PM.
Old 05-18-2016, 05:27 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Wes Burmark
Ryan, first, thank you very much for your response. I located my pump which looks similar to yours pictured. I also located the block (mine is 3-way with the solenoid attached directly to the junction block)) but I am not seeing the valve you feel I should check in the picture of your 4-way block or on my setup. I went up and flipped the switch to the CLOSED position. The pump does work and it activated all 4 exhaust valves which would run the exhaust through the drives. When I click the switch to the OPEN position it did not release. Nothing happened. This leads me to believe you are correct in your suggestion that I have a sticking valve...if only I can find it. Question? Do the valves close without the engine(s) running?

I am having trouble posting the image of my setup. If you have time to email me at [email protected] I will send it to you.

Again, thanks Ryan.

Hmm...are you referring to what looks like a fitting screwed into your 4-way block at the top of the picture?
Yes, the little thing on the top of the picture that looks live a silver valve stem cap. If that little bugger gets dirt in it, you won;t be able to hold the pressure in the system.

If I understand the system correctly, the release solenoid is in the bottom of the photo and has a white line runnig to it. If you can't dump the air out of the system, then the solenoid is the first place to look - does it have good clean electrical connections?

You should be able to pressurize and release the system without the engine on.

Also, check the switch, maybe a wire is loose.

Ryan
Old 05-18-2016, 10:42 PM
Registered

Ryan,

I'll be upside down hanging into the bilge sometime tomorrow! I'll take out the valve and make sure it's clean. Then I'll check all of the wiring connections. Thanks for your time and expertise. I looked online before "begging for help here" but found nothing.

I'll let you know what I find.

Wes
Old 05-19-2016, 02:33 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you open the exhaust it is putting pressure on the system. There is a pressure release solenoid valve that releases the pressure to close the exhaust. If it does not close the solenoid is not working to release the pressure. There is also a mechanical over pressure valve that has a spring in it. If the pressure leaks down and the exhaust closes then the overpressure relief valve may have dirt in it or a weak spring, you can tighten the nut on the spring to get it to seal. Unscrew the valve from the block and you will see the spring and nut on the inside.

I have seen them set up both ways pressure to open or pressure to close.

You can also check the connections for leaks with soapy water while running the pump.

Last edited by Bama; 05-19-2016 at 02:40 PM.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:39 PM
Registered

Thanks Bama. My system runs the exhaust through the drives when the pistons are extended. When the exhaust is through the hull the pistons are all the way inside the solenoids. Right now they are closing with the switch (at the end of last season they would leak down after about 30-60 seconds and open or run through hull) but not opening with the switch thrown in the opposite direction. I need to dive into the boat and check the valve first and then try the switch again and listen for the solenoid.
Old 07-02-2016, 01:47 PM
Registered

It turned out that most of the problem was with the two bolts ( for lack of the proper term) that had screened vents in them. Just as you suggested they were dirty and not allowing the system to release the vacuum. I unscrewed them and did the best I could to clean them with WD40. It seems to have done the trick. Again Bama, thanks for your help!
Old 08-09-2016, 10:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exactly. Push the valve open under some warm water and bush it lightly with a old tooth brush. Like our friend here is telling you it should seal back up and stop leaking down. Provided the line isn't leaking where you pushed it back on as well.