New Fountain Owner

Notices

New Fountain Owner

Old 05-23-2016, 06:09 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New Fountain Owner

Hello from the West Coast.
I have been a member here on OSO for some time now, previously owned lots of boats form 50' sportfisher to my favorite which is my canoe. I owned an older Scarab and that's what brought me to OSO to begin with. I currently own a 21' Howard day cruiser and most recently bought a 1989 Fountain 33' Swim Step, which I believe was shortly re-named the 35' non-step. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
I found this boat for sale many years ago and didn't have enough cash to pull the trigger so I turned my friend on to it. He bought it and owned for several years. 3 years ago he passed away and his son sold the Fountain it to help cover costs. Earlier this year I saw the boat come up for sale and luckily was in a position to buy it this time. Feel like I got a bit of my lost friend back with it.

Anyhow the boat hadn't been run in 3 years and is pretty filthy. I went through and rebuilt the carbs, water pumps and changed the oil. I pulled the distributors and spun the oil pumps to get the new oil circulated. Fresh tune up and and batteries and the engines lit off like they were new. I live in the NorCal area and we had a small poker run through the delta two weeks ago. Took the boat and she ran well but feels grossly under propped. 24p 4 blade Mach1 props and I can hit 6k rpm without issue and have plenty of throttle left. I think somewhere along the way someone swapped props. I keep thinking I remember the boat having 4 blade 27s on it. Any help on a good place to start for bigger wheels would be helpful.

Here are the limited specs I have for the engines, I wish I knew more about the motors but I this is all I have at the moment.

BBC It has gold Griffin Marine tags of the valve covers.
B&M 250 Blowers
Dominator 1050cfm carbs
MSD marine boxes
Very short Bravo 1s (they hardly stick below the bottom)

Boat hits 70mph effortlessly.

Thank you
Will
Pics to come.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:48 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Congrats. Yes you sound under propped. Friend of mine has 42 with blown 454s and he's swinging 26-28s. My single step 35 with mag motors swings hydro 27s. I'd say you need 27-28s.
Old 05-23-2016, 11:08 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool read. Great job on getting the boat back in your family.
Old 05-24-2016, 03:01 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by I.C.U.Lookin
Congrats. Yes you sound under propped. Friend of mine has 42 with blown 454s and he's swinging 26-28s. My single step 35 with mag motors swings hydro 27s. I'd say you need 27-28s.
I was thinking 27-8's as well. I was leaning towards the 27's. Better to error on the conservative side as opposed to not being able to get out of the hole. I appreciate the input

Originally Posted by MN35LIGHTNING
Cool read. Great job on getting the boat back in your family.
Thank you,
Old 05-25-2016, 10:12 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have a pair of 27 Hydro's quad IV's that were labbed by Hydromotive that I am selling. They worked great on my 32.